Supersonic wave travel question

In summary, supersonic waves act like supercritical flow of fluids while subsonic waves behave similarly to subcritical flow. An example of subcritical flow is pinching a hose, while supercritical flow is comparable to water flowing over rocks. It may be easier to understand the similarities between supersonic and supercritical flow, but subcritical and subsonic may be more confusing. In the case of subcritical flow, the wave propagation is faster and does not merge to form a larger wave. However, shockwaves may not follow this pattern completely. If you have any further questions about the definition of subcritical and supercritical flow, I am not familiar with this terminology and may not be able to provide more information.
TheWonderer1
I've read somewhere that supersonic waves behave like supercritical flow of fluids and that subsonic waves behave similarly to that of subcritical flow. I guess an example of subcritical flow is pinching a hose and supercritical is how water flows over rocks (a bit more confused on that). Can you explain practical and possibly point me towards images how this is at all similar? I can see supercritical and supersonic but subcritical and subsonic is a bit harder. I guess since in the subcritical example, you are talking about faster wave propagation and it won't merge to become a big wave (I understand shockwaves may not work completely in this way). Thanks for answering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any more information on the definition of subcritical and supercritical flow? This is not terminology with which I am familiar.

1. What is supersonic wave travel?

Supersonic wave travel is when an object or medium moves faster than the speed of sound, which is approximately 343 meters per second in the Earth's atmosphere.

2. How do supersonic waves differ from subsonic waves?

Supersonic waves have a higher frequency and shorter wavelength compared to subsonic waves. They also have a shock wave or "sonic boom" associated with them due to the sudden increase in air pressure.

3. What are the applications of supersonic wave travel?

Supersonic wave travel has various applications, including in aviation for faster travel, in military technology for weapons and surveillance, and in medical imaging for more detailed scans.

4. What challenges are associated with supersonic wave travel?

One major challenge is the production of intense heat and pressure at the leading edges of supersonic objects, which can cause damage. Another challenge is the high noise levels produced by the shock wave, which can be disruptive to the surrounding environment.

5. Is supersonic wave travel safe for humans?

While supersonic wave travel has been deemed safe for objects and machines, it can be harmful to humans due to the high levels of noise and pressure. This is why there are strict regulations and safety measures in place for supersonic flights.