Supremum and Infimum Proof

In summary, the proof shows that if S and T are subsets of R such that s < t for each s ∈ S and each t ∈ T, then the supremum of S is less than or equal to the infimum of T. This can be proven either directly or by contradiction, using the definition of upper and lower bounds.
wang jia le
Let S and T be subsets of R such that s < t for each s ∈ S and each t ∈ T. Prove carefully that sup S ≤ inf T.

Attempt:

I start by using the definition for supremum and infinum, and let sup(S)= a and inf(T)= b

i know that a> s and b< t for all s and t. How do i continue? , do i prove it directly starting from s< t or will it be easier to use proof by contradiction?

Physics news on Phys.org
wang jia le said:
Let S and T be subsets of R such that s < t for each s ∈ S and each t ∈ T. Prove carefully that sup S ≤ inf T.

Attempt:

I start by using the definition for supremum and infinum, and let sup(S)= a and inf(T)= b

i know that a> s and b< t for all s and t. How do i continue? , do i prove it directly starting from s< t or will it be easier to use proof by contradiction?

Try contradiction.

Usually the definition of upper/lower bound would only imply [itex]s \leq \sup(S)[/itex] for all [itex]s \in S[/itex] and [itex]\inf(T) \leq t[/itex] for all [itex]t \in T[/itex]. In other words, the upper and lower bounds can be in the set themselves. The stated result should hold regardless though.

Just start with [itex]\inf(T) \lt \sup(S)[/itex] and go from there. There must be an [itex]s \in S[/itex] such that [itex]\inf(T) \lt s[/itex] ( otherwise [itex]\inf(T)[/itex] would be an upper bound of [itex]S[/itex] that's less than [itex]\sup(S)[/itex] ). But then, for similar reasons, there must be a [itex]t \in T[/itex] such that [itex]t \lt s[/itex] ( fill in the details ).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of supremum and infimum?

The supremum and infimum of a set are the smallest upper bound and largest lower bound, respectively. In other words, the supremum is the least upper bound and the infimum is the greatest lower bound of a set of numbers.

2. How are supremum and infimum related to maximum and minimum?

The supremum of a set is always greater than or equal to the maximum, and the infimum is always less than or equal to the minimum. However, a maximum or minimum may not always exist, while the supremum and infimum always exist.

3. How do you prove the existence of supremum and infimum?

To prove the existence of supremum and infimum, you must show that the set has an upper bound and a lower bound, and that there is no smaller upper bound or larger lower bound. This can be done using the completeness axiom or by constructing a sequence that converges to the supremum or infimum.

4. Can a set have both a supremum and infimum?

Yes, a set can have both a supremum and infimum. In fact, if a set has a supremum and infimum, it is known as a bounded set.

5. Are supremum and infimum unique for a given set?

No, a set can have multiple supremum and infimum values. For example, in the set [0,1], both 1 and 0 are supremum and infimum values. However, if the supremum or infimum is the only possible value, it is considered unique.