Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Supremum and Infimum Proof

1. Apr 10, 2016 #1
    Let S and T be subsets of R such that s < t for each s ∈ S and each t ∈ T. Prove carefully that sup S ≤ inf T.

Attempt:

I start by using the definition for supremum and infinum, and let sup(S)= a and inf(T)= b

i know that a> s and b< t for all s and t. How do i continue? , do i prove it directly starting from s< t or will it be easier to use proof by contradiction?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try contradiction.

4. Apr 11, 2016 #3

mbs

Usually the definition of upper/lower bound would only imply [itex]s \leq \sup(S)[/itex] for all [itex]s \in S[/itex] and [itex]\inf(T) \leq t[/itex] for all [itex]t \in T[/itex]. In other words, the upper and lower bounds can be in the set themselves. The stated result should hold regardless though.

Just start with [itex]\inf(T) \lt \sup(S)[/itex] and go from there. There must be an [itex]s \in S[/itex] such that [itex]\inf(T) \lt s[/itex] ( otherwise [itex]\inf(T)[/itex] would be an upper bound of [itex]S[/itex] that's less than [itex]\sup(S)[/itex] ). But then, for similar reasons, there must be a [itex]t \in T[/itex] such that [itex]t \lt s[/itex] ( fill in the details ).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted