What is the Surface Area of a Parametric Surface in the UV-Plane?

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of a surface with parametric equations x=uv, y=u+v, z=u-v, where u^2 + v^2 <= 1. The solution involves using polar coordinates and computing the cross product of r_u and r_v. The final integral to be solved is [tex]\int_{r= 0}^1\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{4+ 2r^2}rdrd\theta[/itex].
fk378

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface with parametric equations x=uv, y=u+v, z=u-v.
u^2 + v^2 <= 1

Homework Equations

A(S)= double integral over the domain D of the norm of the cross product (r_u X r_v) DA

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off with finding the norm of the cross product and got sqrt [4+2(v^2) + 2(u^2)]. I found it almost impossible to solve that integral. So I'm trying to use polar coordinates, but I don't know how to set the equations in terms of theta and radius.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are thinking is exactly right. Since the region of the surface in which you are interested is given by [itex]u^2+ v^2\le 1[/itex] in the uv-plane, you use [itex]u= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]v= rsin(\theta)[/itex]. Then [itex]dudv= r dr d\theta[/itex] and the integral is just
[tex]\int_{r= 0}^1\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{4+ 2r^2}rdrd\theta[/itex]

When I compute the cross product, does r_theta X r_radius = r_u X r_v? In which case I could just compute r_u X r_v since it's easier right?

Yes! Notice that I specifically said "the uv-plane". The reason you want to change to "polar coordinates" is because you have "[itex]u^2+ v^2\le 1[/itex]" and [itex]u^2+ v^2[/itex] in your integral. This have nothing to do with the xy-plane.

Related to What is the Surface Area of a Parametric Surface in the UV-Plane?

What is the surface area of a function?

The surface area of a function refers to the total area that is bounded by the graph of the function and the x-axis within a given interval.

How is the surface area of a function calculated?

The surface area of a function is calculated using the definite integral of the absolute value of the first derivative of the function.

Why is the surface area of a function important in mathematics?

The surface area of a function is important in mathematics because it is used to solve problems related to optimization and real-world applications, such as finding the minimum amount of material needed to construct a certain shape or object.

What are the units for surface area of a function?

The units for surface area of a function will depend on the units of the function itself. For example, if the function represents the height of a shape in meters, then the surface area will be in square meters.

Can the surface area of a function be negative?

No, the surface area of a function cannot be negative. Surface area is a measure of the total area, and therefore cannot have a negative value.