1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface area of a function

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the area of the surface with parametric equations x=uv, y=u+v, z=u-v.
    u^2 + v^2 <= 1

2. Relevant equations
    A(S)= double integral over the domain D of the norm of the cross product (r_u X r_v) DA

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started off with finding the norm of the cross product and got sqrt [4+2(v^2) + 2(u^2)]. I found it almost impossible to solve that integral. So I'm trying to use polar coordinates, but I don't know how to set the equations in terms of theta and radius.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you are thinking is exactly right. Since the region of the surface in which you are interested is given by [itex]u^2+ v^2\le 1[/itex] in the uv-plane, you use [itex]u= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]v= rsin(\theta)[/itex]. Then [itex]dudv= r dr d\theta[/itex] and the integral is just
    [tex]\int_{r= 0}^1\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{4+ 2r^2}rdrd\theta[/itex]
  4. Jul 27, 2008 #3
    When I compute the cross product, does r_theta X r_radius = r_u X r_v? In which case I could just compute r_u X r_v since it's easier right?
  5. Jul 27, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes! Notice that I specifically said "the uv-plane". The reason you want to change to "polar coordinates" is because you have "[itex]u^2+ v^2\le 1[/itex]" and [itex]u^2+ v^2[/itex] in your integral. This have nothing to do with the xy-plane.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?