Finding da_x in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses integrating in spherical coordinates and finding the expression in ordinary coordinates. The fundamental vector product of a surface is used to calculate the differential of surface area in spherical coordinates.
bruteforce
I want to integrate something in spherical coordinates
I have [tex] da=R^{2}sin(g)dgdh \hat{r} [/tex] with g and h angles
and [tex] \hat{r}=sin(g)cos(h) \hat{i}+sin(g)sin(h) \hat{j}+cos(g) \hat{k} [/tex]

But what is now [tex] da_{x}=dydz \hat{i} [/tex] in spherical coordinates?
So I have the expression in ordinary coordinates and need to find it in spherical coordinates

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
On a spherical surface of radius 1, [itex]\vec{r}= sin(\phi)cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin\phi)sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/itex] as you say.

Differentiating with respect to each variable,
[itex]\vec{r}_\theta= -sin(\phi)cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\phi)cos(\theta)\vex{j}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{r}_\phi= cos(\phi)cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\phi)sin(\theta)\vec{j}- sin(\phi)\vec{k}[/itex]

The "fundamental vector product" of a surface is the cross product of those two derivative vectors:
[tex]\left|\begin{array}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ -sin(\phi)sin(\theta) & sin(\phi)cos(\theta) & 0 \\ cos(\phi)cos(\theta) & cos(\phi)sin(\theta) & -sin(\phi)\end{array}\right|= -sin^2(\phi)cos(\theta)\vec{i}- sin^2(\phi)sin(\theta)\vec{j}- sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]
has length [itex]sin(\phi)[/itex] so the differential of surface area is [itex]sin(\phi)d\phi d\theta[/itex].

(In general if a surface is given by [itex]\vec{r}(u, v)[/itex] with parameters u and v, then the differential of surface area is [itex]\left|\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v|dudv[/itex]. Thats's worth knowing! In fact, the "vector differential" [itex]\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v du dv[/itex] is a vector having the differential of surface area as length, normal to the surface and can be used to integrate vector fields over the surface.)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance, an angle from the positive x-axis, and an angle from the positive z-axis.

2. How do I convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, ϕ), you can use the following equations:r = √(x² + y² + z²)θ = arctan(y/x)ϕ = arccos(z/r)

3. How do I find dax in spherical coordinates?

To find dax in spherical coordinates, you can use the following formula:dax = r²sin(θ)dθdϕ

4. What is the purpose of finding dax in spherical coordinates?

Finding dax in spherical coordinates is useful in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows for the calculation of surface area and volume of objects in three-dimensional space.

5. Can I use spherical coordinates for all types of shapes?

Spherical coordinates are most commonly used for spherical shapes, but they can also be used for other shapes such as cones or cylinders. However, for more complex shapes, other coordinate systems may be more suitable.