Solving Surface Integral: Find I Over Half Sphere A

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an integral I over a half sphere with given equations and applying Gauss' law. The attempt at a solution involves three separate integrals and results in two solutions - one correct and one incorrect. The individual also attempts to solve the problem using spherical coordinates, but encounters difficulty.
flaxstrax

Homework Statement

Find integral I = ∫∫xz^2 dydz + (x^2y − z^3) dzdx + (2xy + y^2z) dxdy (Integrate over A)
if A is half a sphere(radius is a). Sphere is given with equation z=(a-x^2-y^2)^1/2 and z=0.

Homework Equations

The excercise is in 2 parts , find it with just integrating and b) applying gauss's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just can't understand how i get it ... Every way i can think of , gives me wrong answer, I have to find scalar. If i substitute x from the sphere equation , then in integration bounds it still remains ?
I know this aint much to go on but help me. Just tell me what i can substitute so i can find this ingtegral or is it even possible ? I don't need whole excercise, i can integrate myself.
sorry for bad english.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do this as three separate integrals: Doing the "dydz" integral y will go from -a to a and, for each y, z will go from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{a^2- y^2}[/itex]. And, of course, for each y and z, [itex]x= \sqrt{a^2- y^2- z^2}[/itex]. The first integral is
[tex]\int\int xz^2 dydz= \int_{y=-a}^a\int_{z= 0}^\sqrt{a^2- y^2} z^2\sqrt{a^2- y^2- z^2}dzdy[/tex]
and similarly for the other two integrals.

Okay i have 2 solutions. Gauss divergence is correct but the other one is false. In Gauss divergence i took φ bounds incorrectly , its actually 0 to pi/2 , that gives me 2/5 * pi * a^5 . Thats correct answer. But i fail somewhere in direct integrating ...
Can someone tell me where i fail?

http://www.upload.ee/image/3301562/20130510_221421.jpg

http://www.upload.ee/image/3301570/20130510_221443.jpg

Did it with spherical coordinates now . Tthis is so impossible :(
http://www.upload.ee/image/3302135/20130511_041747.jpg
http://www.upload.ee/image/3302136/20130511_041718.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a function over a given surface. It involves breaking the surface into small pieces and calculating the value of the function at each point, then summing all of the values together to get the total.

2. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to calculate the area under a curve in a two-dimensional plane, while a surface integral is used to calculate the total value of a function over a three-dimensional surface. It involves integrating over both the x and y coordinates as well as the surface itself.

3. What is the formula for solving a surface integral?

The formula for solving a surface integral is ∫∫S f(x,y,z) dS, where S is the surface, f(x,y,z) is the function, and dS represents the differential area element on the surface. This formula can be applied using various methods, such as parametric equations or using the divergence theorem.

4. What is the purpose of solving a surface integral over a half sphere?

Solving a surface integral over a half sphere can be useful in areas such as physics and engineering, where calculating the total value of a function over a curved surface is necessary. It can also be used to find the flux of a vector field through a curved surface, which has applications in electromagnetics and fluid mechanics.

5. What are some tips for solving a surface integral over a half sphere?

Some tips for solving a surface integral over a half sphere include using spherical coordinates, carefully choosing the limits of integration, and breaking the surface into smaller, more manageable pieces. It is also important to carefully consider the orientation of the surface and the direction of the normal vector when setting up the integral.