1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface of a sphere intersecting two cylinders

1. Aug 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the surface area of the surface [tex] x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2 [/tex], that is outside the two cylinders [tex] x^2+y^2=\pm ax[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

[tex]ds= \sqrt{1+(Z_x')^2+(Z_y')^2}dxdy[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The intersections are clearly four ellipses. I will try to find a area of one of these ellipses in order to multiply it by four and subtract that from the known area of a whole sphere.
    I have tried two different attitudes to solve it. First, I used the equation mentioned above, to convert this integral to a double integral.
    [tex]S = \iint_D \sqrt{\frac{a^2}{a^2-x^2-y^2}}dxdy[/tex] when D is a circle given by [tex] \left(x-\frac{a}{2}\right)^2 + y^2 \le \left(\frac{a}{2}\right)^2 [/tex]
    Alas, I haven't succeeded in solving this one (not when staying cartesian, nor with polar co-ordinates).
    The second idea was to use spheric coordinates in the first place, but then the limits for theta and phi turn out to be [tex]0<\phi < \frac{\pi}{2} , -a\cos\phi<\sin^2\theta < a\cos\phi[/tex] Which ain't nice either.
    ANY help would be appreciated, especially before my exam on Sunday
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Jaron! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Nooo … it's not even a plane figure … an ellipse is a plane figure, and any plane intersects a sphere in a circle, but these cylinders in ellipses.
    hmm … clever isn't always the easiest. :wink:

have you tried the dumb approach, just using horizontal slices of thickness dy?

(and didn't Archimedes have a theorem about areas on spheres and cylinders?)
  4. Aug 17, 2008 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Thanks tiny Tim!

Yep.. You were right.
    About Archimedes, I only find his ideas over a cylinder of the same radius as the sphere.

Anyway, thanks for you help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?