1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

surface runoff

1. Jun 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In my book , i was told that when the drainage of surface is high then the surface runoff will be low . However , i dont think it's correct .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Definiton : Runoff can be described as the part of the water cycle that flows over land as surface water instead of being absorbed into groundwater or evaporating.

I think that when the surface drainage is high , more water will be drained from the particular surface to another . This results in more water absorbed , resulting in higher surface runoff , correct me if i am wrong .

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

You have not given much context here. Are you modelling rain water flow over soil?
    The exact wording is very important.

If the drainage into a surface is high, then there will be less to run off that surface onto another.

4. Jun 30, 2017 #3
    why ?
    here it is

Attached Files:

5. Jun 30, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming natural ground with no pumping systems then any water flowing into a particular region can only do one of four things - accumulate , evaporate , soak in or run off to somewhere else .

6. Jun 30, 2017 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The term Drainage is being used in two different ways.
    "Surface drainage density" is a different concept to "surface drainage". They are in effect perpendicular.

Well-drained or poorly-drained is being used to describe the ability of a surface to absorb water vertically into a porous surface.

"Drainage density" is defined as the length of horizontal surface channel per unit area that carry runoff.

A well-drained surface is porous. Because it absorbs water, there is less water available to runoff and so there are less surface channels needed, which implies a lower surface drainage density is needed.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  7. Jul 14, 2017 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1

Wikipedia defines "Drainage Density" as..
    "Well drained material (porus) has a lower run-off potential" .- eg the water soaks into the ground therefore fewer rivers and streams form so drainage density is low

"Poorly-drained material (non-porus) has a higher run-off potential" .... the water runs off because it can't soak into the ground. Therefore more rivers and streams are formed so drainage density is high.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted