Which Susceptibility of Bismuth Should I Calculate?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the susceptibility for Bismuth and comparing it with different units of measurement. The experiment used a formula to calculate the force and X represents the susceptibility. The units of X are compared with the molar, mass, and volume-based susceptibilities. The volume-based susceptibility was found to be unitless, which matched the answer in the experiment.
MaxManus
I am trying to find the susceptibility for Bismuth, but I don't know which one I am after. Wikipedia gives molar, mass and volume. In my experiment we where asked to calculate the susceptibility, but not which one so I don't know which one I should compare with.

In the experiment we used the formula

Fz = -(1/2mu0)*XA(B21-B22)

Where Fz is the force in direction z, against gravity
X is the susceptibility
A is the area
B1 is and B2 are magnetic flux at different points,

MaxManus is hoping for the best

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the units of X that is used in your formula or textbook? If you compare that with the units of the molar-, mass-, volume-based susceptibilities, one of them should have the same units.

Thanks. Volume was unit less, the same was the answer in my experiment

Sounds good!

What is susceptibility and why is it important in science?

Susceptibility is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. It is important in science because it helps us understand the magnetic properties of different materials and how they can be used in various applications.

How is susceptibility measured?

Susceptibility is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument applies a magnetic field to a sample and measures the resulting magnetization. The susceptibility is then calculated using this data.

What factors affect susceptibility?

Susceptibility can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of material, temperature, and impurities in the material. In general, materials with more unpaired electrons and weaker atomic bonds tend to have higher susceptibility.

What are the different types of susceptibility?

There are two main types of susceptibility: magnetic susceptibility and electric susceptibility. Magnetic susceptibility measures the response of a material to a magnetic field, while electric susceptibility measures the response to an electric field.

How is susceptibility used in practical applications?

Susceptibility has many practical applications, including in geology, materials science, and medical imaging. It can be used to identify and characterize different types of minerals, to study the properties of materials, and to create detailed images of the human body for medical diagnosis.