Solving a Uniform Rod's Angular and Linear Speed

In summary, a uniform rod of mass 1.2 kg and length 1.2 m is pivoted in the horizontal position and released, with an acceleration due to gravity of 9.8 m/s2. The angular speed of the rod as it passes through the vertical position is 5.2915 rad/s, and the linear speed of the bottom end of the rod is 4.8 m/s. The radius used for calculations was 0.9 m.
postfan

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of mass 1.2 kg and length 1.2 m is pivoted in the horizontal position as shown (black point). The rod is at rest and then released. The acceleration due to gravity is g = 9.8 m/s2.

What is the angular speed (in rad/s, but do not include units) of the rod as it passes through the vertical position (when end marked B is at the bottom)?

What is the linear speed of the bottom end of the rod (marked B) when it passes the vertical position?(in m/s, but do not include units)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Used conservation of energy, m*g*h=.5*I*w^2. I calculated I to be .252 and used .3 for h. Solving for w, I got 4.83. Then used the formula v=wr and got v=2.898. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• BK96.PNG
    BK96.PNG
    1.4 KB · Views: 656
Physics news on Phys.org
postfan said:

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of mass 1.2 kg and length 1.2 m is pivoted in the horizontal position as shown (black point). The rod is at rest and then released. The acceleration due to gravity is g = 9.8 m/s2.

What is the angular speed (in rad/s, but do not include units) of the rod as it passes through the vertical position (when end marked B is at the bottom)?

What is the linear speed of the bottom end of the rod (marked B) when it passes the vertical position?(in m/s, but do not include units)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Used conservation of energy, m*g*h=.5*I*w^2. I calculated I to be .252 and used .3 for h. Solving for w, I got 4.83. Then used the formula v=wr and got v=2.898. What am I doing wrong?
Your method looks fine. The numerical value of your moment of inertia looks okay, as does your value for the Δh of the center of mass. Still, something went wrong when you calculated the value of ω. Better check your math there.

I found that w=5.2915, and v=3.1749. Is that right?

postfan said:
I found that w=5.2915, and v=3.1749. Is that right?

ω looks better. What did you use for the radius of arc for the bottom end of the rod?

I used .6 (length of rod /2)

postfan said:
I used .6 (length of rod /2)

But B is at 3/4 L distance from the pivot...

ehild

Ok is the radius then .45 (length of rod*.75/2)?

postfan said:
Ok is the radius then .45 (length of rod*.75/2)?

Why do you divide by 2?

ehild

Radius is 1/2 the diameter. The diameter is .9.

postfan said:
Radius is 1/2 the diameter. The diameter is .9.

You might want to rethink that. The radius extends from the center of the motion (the pivot) out to the point in question (point B).

OK, so the radius is .9 and the linear velocity is 4.76235, right?

postfan said:
OK, so is the radius .9?

Are you guessing and looking for confirmation? It would be preferable to describe your logic and conclusion. Why .9m?

Hint:
Why don't you draw a diagram with the rod in the initial and final positions, and sketch in the arc that B describes. Where's the center of the arc? What's its radius?

postfan said:
OK, so the radius is .9 and the linear velocity is 4.76235, right?

That looks better. Now, reconcile the significant figures in your result with the given data (5 decimal places is certainly not justified :smile:)

Ok, so is it just 4.8?

postfan said:
Ok, so is it just 4.8?

4.8 looks fine numerically, but it would be marked WRONG if you don't include the units :wink:

Related to Solving a Uniform Rod's Angular and Linear Speed

What is the formula for calculating the angular speed of a uniform rod?

The formula for calculating the angular speed of a uniform rod is ω = v/r, where ω is the angular speed, v is the linear speed, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the object.

How can I determine the linear speed of a point on a uniform rod?

To determine the linear speed of a point on a uniform rod, you can use the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular speed, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point on the rod.

What is the difference between angular speed and linear speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis, while linear speed is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. They are related by the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular speed, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the object.

Can the angular speed and linear speed of a uniform rod be different?

Yes, the angular speed and linear speed of a uniform rod can be different. This is because the angular speed depends on the distance from the center of rotation, while the linear speed depends on the distance from the point on the rod to the center of rotation.

How does the length of a uniform rod affect its angular and linear speed?

The length of a uniform rod does not affect its angular speed, as long as the distance from the center of rotation remains the same. However, a longer rod will have a greater linear speed at a given angular speed, as the distance from the point on the rod to the center of rotation will be greater.