Switch for AC signal

1. Hi all,

I would like to make a switch for an AC signal (on off ,ie, high impedance and low impedance). The switch should have less than 1 ohmn impedance. The signal can range from 1-100Khz and the signal will be 50Vrms.

I tried to use mosfets, but they do not block the signal completely, and I do not think they are meant to control AC signals like this.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,158
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

If you could live with with ~10 volts instead of 50 volts, I would recommend the CD4066BC Quad Bilateral Switch.
  4. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You have probably considered simple relays -- could you say why you rejected them? Switching time, bounce, etc?
  5. Baluncore

Baluncore 3,305
    Science Advisor

There are many ways of doing it, but it will depend on the maximum signal current.
    Are the signals in a coaxial cable or a twisted pair?

Often a “T” structure switch is used. Two series switches in the top of the “T” are used to block the signal while another switch in the stem of the “T” grounds the midpoint when the switch is off to greatly reduce feedthrough. Perhaps you can use that structure with mosfets.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted