Switch to Opera - A Fast and Free Alternative to Internet Explorer

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of using Opera as a browser, including its speed and superior mouse gestures. However, some users have encountered issues with certain websites, such as the search function on physicsforums. Additionally, there is a discussion about the use of ads and how to block them. Overall, the conversation highlights the advantages of using Opera and some potential drawbacks.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
http://www.opera.com/

Now there are two reasons not to use IE.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wow, that is pretty cool. I used Opera and nothing else for about a month and it is a great browser. The speed of it is absolutely amazing, and the mouse gestures are better than firefox's will ever be imo.

I would use Opera still, but I absolutely cannot stand the middle mouse scoll behavior. Why does my mouse need to go to the center everytime I press the button? Also, you can't hold the middle mouse button down and scroll up/down/left/right and then let go of the button to stop.

edit.. quote from slashdot: " I hope that Microsoft will decide also to give Internet Explorer for free. My desktop is full of banners and popup windows." :smile:

Last edited:
I stopped using Opera and moved to Mozilla because I couldn't use the "Search" function in physicsforums (see at the top, between "New Posts" and "Quick Links") properly with Opera.

Does anyone have the same problem, or is it fixed now in the new opera?

I doubt it would be fixed. Personally it is a problem with the site if anything imo. I believe Opera is much more standards compliant than firefox/mozilla is and therefore some sites may look a bit funky (for example, yahoo mail).

I use opera, and have no problems with it.

Ahh I may see what you mean now. Is this the problem you are having: The google/text ads block out the search field.
This is what you mean right? (Screenshot)
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3596/operaprob8ky.png

Solution: Block out the ads.

Check out this site: http://nontroppo.org/wiki/BlockAdvertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
Edgardo said:
I stopped using Opera and moved to Mozilla because I couldn't use the "Search" function in physicsforums (see at the top, between "New Posts" and "Quick Links") properly with Opera.

Does anyone have the same problem, or is it fixed now in the new opera?

I've never had a problem with search using Opera. BTW - you can thank me for free Opera! I paid for the first retail release and for every upgrade since then! But it was worth subsidizing! :)

dduardo said:
http://www.opera.com/

Now there are two reasons not to use IE.
not including the others?

1. What is Opera and how is it different from Internet Explorer?

Opera is a web browser that offers a fast and free alternative to Internet Explorer. It is developed by the Norwegian company Opera Software and has been around since 1995. Unlike Internet Explorer, Opera is known for its speed, security features, and customizable interface.

2. Is Opera really faster than Internet Explorer?

Yes, Opera is known for its fast performance. It uses a lightweight design and advanced caching techniques to load web pages quickly. In fact, several independent studies have shown that Opera is faster than Internet Explorer and other popular browsers.

3. Can I still use the same websites and extensions with Opera?

Yes, Opera is compatible with most websites and extensions that are designed for Internet Explorer. It also has its own extensions store where you can find additional features and tools to enhance your browsing experience.

4. Is Opera completely free to use?

Yes, Opera is completely free to download and use. There are no hidden fees or subscriptions required. It also does not have any ads or tracking built into the browser, unlike some other free browsers.

5. How do I switch from Internet Explorer to Opera?

Switching from Internet Explorer to Opera is easy. Simply download Opera from their official website and follow the installation instructions. Once installed, you can import your bookmarks, history, and other settings from Internet Explorer to Opera. You can also set Opera as your default browser for a seamless transition.