Symbolic Logic: Helping a Friend Understand Mr. X's Homework

In summary, the conversation revolved around symbolic logic and solving a problem involving statements represented by p and q. The first statement, "Mr. X did not get a C on his final but he passed the class," was correctly represented as ~p and q. The second and third statements, "It was necessary for Mr. X to get a C on his final in order for him to pass the class" and "Mr. X passed the class only if he got a C on his final," were both correctly represented as q => p. The individual seeking help was concerned about his correctness, but was assured by the expert that his responses were correct.
buddyholly9999
Ok..tried to help a friend understand some of his homework..I haven't seen symbolic logic since college, but there was this one problem in particular that went something like..."Mr. X got a C on his final." and "Mr. X passed the class"...we say that these are represented by p and q, respectively. Then it goes on to list some statements which you have to write in symbols.

1) Mr. X did not get a C on his final but he passed the class...
my response was ... ~p and q
I'm pretty damn sure I'm right but he kept complaining that the but might not denote the 'and' connective.

2) It was necessary for Mr. X to get a C on his final in order for him to pass the class.
My response was... q => p

3)
Mr. X passed the class only if he got a C on his final.
My response was... q => p

He trusts me that I'm right...and I'm figuring that the second and third responses are correct..but I'm worried I'm wrong..if you read the second and third statements, you can see why someone would think that they are essentially the same.

some feedback would be nice..even if it's to %^&^ off...:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) is correct, and "but" is always denoted by the "and" connective.
2) is correct.
3) is correct.

Related to Symbolic Logic: Helping a Friend Understand Mr. X's Homework

1. What is symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic is a branch of mathematics that uses symbols and formulas to represent logical statements and relationships between them. It is a systematic and precise method for evaluating arguments and determining their validity.

2. Why is symbolic logic important?

Symbolic logic is important because it allows us to analyze and evaluate complex arguments and determine if they are logically valid. It also helps us to identify and avoid logical fallacies in reasoning.

3. How can I help my friend understand Mr. X's homework on symbolic logic?

First, make sure your friend understands the basic concepts of symbolic logic, such as logical operators and truth tables. Then, walk them through the steps of solving Mr. X's homework problems, explaining each step and why it is necessary. Provide examples and practice problems to reinforce their understanding.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in symbolic logic?

One common mistake is confusing the logical operators, such as using "and" instead of "or" or vice versa. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the rules of inference. It is important to carefully follow the rules and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my skills in symbolic logic?

Practice is key to improving your skills in symbolic logic. Work through as many problems as you can, and try to identify and understand the logic behind different arguments. You can also read books or take online courses to deepen your understanding of the subject.