What is Symmetry about a Point (p,q) and its Relationship to Function Values?

In summary, the problem proves that a function symmetric about a point (p,q) satisfies f(p-x) + f(p+x) = 2f(p) for all x in the interval of interest.
KingKendrick

Homework Statement

A function f is said to symmetric about a point (p,q) if whenever the point (p-x, q-y) is on the graph of f, then the point (p + x, q - y) is also on the graph. Said differently, f is symmetric about a point (p,q) if the line through the points (p,q) and (p+x, q+y) on the graph of y=f(x) intersects the graph at the point (p-x, q-y). Show that a function symmetric about the point (p,q) satifies f(p-x) + f(p+x) = 2f(p) for all x in the interval of interest.

Homework Equations

f(p-x) + f(p+x) = 2f(p)

The Attempt at a Solution

This questions completely contrasts the questions we had been attempting in class. I have never seen anything like this. I tried taking integrals of functions I thought were symmetrical but I could really use some help getting started.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
KingKendrick said:

Homework Statement

A function f is said to symmetric about a point (p,q) if whenever the point (p-x, q-y) is on the graph of f, then the point (p + x, q - y) is also on the graph. Said differently, f is symmetric about a point (p,q) if the line through the points (p,q) and (p+x, q+y) on the graph of y=f(x) intersects the graph at the point (p-x, q-y). Show that a function symmetric about the point (p,q) satifies f(p-x) + f(p+x) = 2f(p) for all x in the interval of interest.

Homework Equations

f(p-x) + f(p+x) = 2f(p)

The Attempt at a Solution

This questions completely contrasts the questions we had been attempting in class. I have never seen anything like this. I tried taking integrals of functions I thought were symmetrical but I could really use some help getting started.

Thanks.

No integrals are needed. If (p,q) is on the graph then f(p)=q. If (p+x,q+y) is on the graph then f(p+x)=q+y. Similar for (p-x,q-y). Write all of those down and try to eliminate the q and y.

Last edited:
Could you be a bit more specific or rephrase what you said please?

I wrote

f(p)=q
f(p+x)=q+x
f(p-x)=q-x

and I'm still struggling to figure out what to do next. Would I have to make them equal to each other? What exactly did you mean when you said "eliminate the q"?

Thanks for your help.

KingKendrick said:
Could you be a bit more specific or rephrase what you said please?

I wrote

f(p)=q
f(p+x)=q+x
f(p-x)=q-x

and I'm still struggling to figure out what to do next. Would I have to make them equal to each other? What exactly did you mean when you said "eliminate the q"?

Thanks for your help.

I meant add the last two equations and substitute the first one. But thinking about it you probably shouldn't assume x=y. Just leave it as:

f(p)=q
f(p+x)=q+y
f(p-x)=q-y

But same idea.

Ok, I made progress but I don't know if I am answering the question or if I am doing something completely random.

Prove: f(p+x) + f(p-x) = 2f(p)

If we can assume

f(p)=q
f(p+x)=q+y
f(p-x)=q-y

then

f(p+y) + f(p-y) = 2q + 0
f(p) + f(y) + f(p) - f(y) = 2q
2f(p) = 2q

We know f(p) = q so...

2f(p) = 2f(p)

Am I doing something right?

Last edited:
KingKendrick said:
Ok, I made progress but I don't know if I am answering the question or if I am doing something completely random.

Prove: f(p+x) + f(p-x) = 2f(p)

If we can assume

f(p)=q
f(p+x)=q+y
f(p-x)=q-y

then

f(p+y) + f(p-y) = 2q + 0
f(p) + f(y) + f(p) - f(y) = 2q
2f(p) = 2q

We know f(p) = q so...

2f(p) = 2f(p)

Am I doing something right?

You are doing a few things wrong. Why did you change f(p+x) into f(p+y) and saying f(p+y)=f(p)+f(y) is generally wrong. You don't have to do that. You'll get f(p+x)+f(p-x)=2q, and q=f(p). Soooo? You are almost there.

Last edited:
Dick said:
You are doing a few things wrong. Why did you change f(p+x) into f(p+y) and saying f(p+y)=f(p)+f(y) is generally wrong. You don't have to do that. You'll get f(p+x)+f(p-x)=2q, and q=f(p). Soooo?

Haha. I haven't done math for 2 semesters so I'm a bit rusty.

So I revised it to this

f(p+x) + f(p-x) = 2f(p)

f(p)= q
f(p+x) = q+y
f(p-x) = q-y

f(p+x) + f(p-x) = (q+y) + (q-y)
f(p+x) + f(p-x) = 2q

we know f(p) = q so substituting this in the 2q we get

f(p+x) + f(p-x) =2f(p)

KingKendrick said:
Haha. I haven't done math for 2 semesters so I'm a bit rusty.

So I revised it to this

f(p+x) + f(p-x) = 2f(p)

f(p)= q
f(p+x) = q+y
f(p-x) = q-y

f(p+x) + f(p-x) = (q+y) + (q-y)
f(p+x) + f(p-x) = 2q

we know f(p) = q so substituting this in the 2q we get

f(p+x) + f(p-x) =2f(p)

Yeah, not so hard, right?

Dick said:
Yeah, not so hard, right?

I guess I was thinking it was going to be a tough problem requiring integrals, I actually had the answer at one point and thought it was too obvious and discarded it.

Thanks for all your help!

1. What is symmetry about a point?

Symmetry about a point is a type of symmetry where an object or shape is reflected or rotated around a specific point, known as the center of symmetry. This results in the object being identical on either side of the point.

2. How is symmetry about a point different from symmetry about a line?

Symmetry about a point involves a reflection or rotation around a single point, while symmetry about a line involves a reflection across a line. Additionally, symmetry about a point results in identical images on both sides of the point, while symmetry about a line produces mirror images on either side of the line.

3. What is the formula for determining the distance between a point and its image in symmetry about a point?

The formula for determining the distance between a point (x,y) and its image (x',y') in symmetry about a point (p,q) is:
d = 2 * √[(x'-p)^2 + (y'-q)^2]

4. Can all objects have symmetry about a point?

No, not all objects have symmetry about a point. In order for an object to have symmetry about a point, it must have a center of symmetry, meaning that every point on the object has a corresponding point on the opposite side of the center of symmetry.

5. How is symmetry about a point used in science?

Symmetry about a point is used in science to analyze and understand the structure and function of molecules and crystals. In chemistry, symmetry operations can be used to identify the properties and behavior of molecules, while in crystallography, symmetry plays a crucial role in determining the atomic arrangement of crystals.