1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetry about a point (p,q)

1. Jun 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A function f is said to symmetric about a point (p,q) if whenever the point (p-x, q-y) is on the graph of f, then the point (p + x, q - y) is also on the graph. Said differently, f is symmetric about a point (p,q) if the line through the points (p,q) and (p+x, q+y) on the graph of y=f(x) intersects the graph at the point (p-x, q-y). Show that a function symmetric about the point (p,q) satifies f(p-x) + f(p+x) = 2f(p) for all x in the interval of interest.

2. Relevant equations

f(p-x) + f(p+x) = 2f(p)

3. The attempt at a solution

This questions completely contrasts the questions we had been attempting in class. I have never seen anything like this. I tried taking integrals of functions I thought were symmetrical but I could really use some help getting started.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No integrals are needed. If (p,q) is on the graph then f(p)=q. If (p+x,q+y) is on the graph then f(p+x)=q+y. Similar for (p-x,q-y). Write all of those down and try to eliminate the q and y.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  4. Jun 7, 2013 #3
    Could you be a bit more specific or rephrase what you said please?

I wrote

f(p)=q
    f(p+x)=q+x
    f(p-x)=q-x

and I'm still struggling to figure out what to do next. Would I have to make them equal to each other? What exactly did you mean when you said "eliminate the q"?

Thanks for your help.

5. Jun 8, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I meant add the last two equations and substitute the first one. But thinking about it you probably shouldn't assume x=y. Just leave it as:

f(p)=q
    f(p+x)=q+y
    f(p-x)=q-y

But same idea.

6. Jun 8, 2013 #5
    Ok, I made progress but I don't know if I am answering the question or if I am doing something completely random.

Prove: f(p+x) + f(p-x) = 2f(p)

If we can assume

f(p)=q
    f(p+x)=q+y
    f(p-x)=q-y

then

f(p+y) + f(p-y) = 2q + 0
    f(p) + f(y) + f(p) - f(y) = 2q
    2f(p) = 2q

We know f(p) = q so...

2f(p) = 2f(p)

Am I doing something right?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  7. Jun 8, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are doing a few things wrong. Why did you change f(p+x) into f(p+y) and saying f(p+y)=f(p)+f(y) is generally wrong. You don't have to do that. You'll get f(p+x)+f(p-x)=2q, and q=f(p). Soooo? You are almost there.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  8. Jun 8, 2013 #7
    Haha. I haven't done math for 2 semesters so I'm a bit rusty.

So I revised it to this

f(p+x) + f(p-x) = 2f(p)

f(p)= q
    f(p+x) = q+y
    f(p-x) = q-y

f(p+x) + f(p-x) = (q+y) + (q-y)
    f(p+x) + f(p-x) = 2q

we know f(p) = q so substituting this in the 2q we get

f(p+x) + f(p-x) =2f(p)

9. Jun 8, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, not so hard, right?

10. Jun 8, 2013 #9
    I guess I was thinking it was going to be a tough problem requiring integrals, I actually had the answer at one point and thought it was too obvious and discarded it.

Thanks for all your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted