Synchrotron radiation and conservation of energy

In summary, there was a discussion about the Maxwell equations and their relation to electrodynamics and radiation from charged particles. The conversation included questions about the origin of "spin" and magnetic moment of atoms, as well as specific questions about the equations and their effects on accelerated charges. It was suggested to ask one question at a time and clarify any disputes based on current physics. The thread was ultimately deemed to be more relevant to classical E&M and was moved to a more appropriate forum.
varga
ZapperZ said:
a) What is this Maxwell equation everyone is talking about?
======================

Oh my goodness! After all this debacle and a thread this lengthy, we now have a confirmation that you really don't know what you're discussing?

Unless the OP has lingering question related to the original question, I think this thread is going nowhere fast because we keep having to make several steps back to explain basic physics. If you don't understand basic E&M (i.e. these "Maxwell equations"), then we'd be more than happy to answer specific questions on it. This is not the way to do it.

Questions on the origin of "spin" and magnetic moment of atoms have been answered in many other threads in the Quantum Physics forum. One is welcomed to do a quick browse.

This thread is done.

My question is "stupid"?

I do have very specific questions and I accept your invitation to ask them...

SpectraCat said:
- "electrodynamics (i.e. Maxwell's equations) describes radiation from charged particles accelerating in a Coulomb field."

So I was asking him which one of the FOUR Maxwell's equations is he talking about. What is wrong with that? And, would you mind answering the question as you offered?

Rest of the questions:
- 'Electronvolt' was calculated and experimentally confirmed according to Coulomb's law equation or some other equation?

- Do you think anyone would label Coulomb force as "conservative force" if they knew there was any loss of energy there?

a) DECELERATION: does it slow down BECAUSE it radiates, or it radiates because it slows down?
b) ACCELERATION: does it speed up BECAUSE it radiates, or it radiates because it speeds up?
====================

These make no sense. Both are easily answered because if it radiates BECAUSE it speeds up, it is violating the conservation of energy. Or is that something you question as well?

If it radiates because it slows down, then it is violating causality because it is doing something on its own...

SpectraCat said:
- "an accelerating charge emits light, whether it is slowing down or speeding up."

You say:
- "Electron radiates because it speeds up", is WRONG.
- "Electron radiates because it slows down", is WRONG.

So, does that leaves us with:
- Electron speeds up because it radiates. (CORRECT ?)
- Electron slows down because it radiates. (CORRECT ?)

Can you clarify,
Thank you

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
varga said:
My question is "stupid"?

I do have very specific questions and I accept your invitation to ask them...

SpectraCat said:
- "electrodynamics (i.e. Maxwell's equations) describes radiation from charged particles accelerating in a Coulomb field."

So I was asking him which one of the FOUR Maxwell's equations is he talking about. What is wrong with that? And, would you mind answering the question as you offered?

Rest of the questions:
- 'Electronvolt' was calculated and experimentally confirmed according to Coulomb's law equation or some other equation?

- Do you think anyone would label Coulomb force as "conservative force" if they knew there was any loss of energy there?

SpectraCat said:
- "an accelerating charge emits light, whether it is slowing down or speeding up."

You say:
- "Electron radiates because it speeds up", is WRONG.
- "Electron radiates because it slows down", is WRONG.

So, does that leaves us with:
- Electron speeds up because it radiates. (CORRECT ?)
- Electron slows down because it radiates. (CORRECT ?)

Can you clarify,
Thank you

1. How about you ask one question at a time?

2. The majority of this has nothing to do with quantum mechanics. What you're asking is classical E&M (and thus, this thread will be moved to the appropriate forum).

3. Accelerated charges radiates. This is classical electrodynamics. Electrons speeding up or slowing down radiates. Which part of this do you dispute based on current physics?

Zz.

1. What is synchrotron radiation?

Synchrotron radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when charged particles, such as electrons, are accelerated or deflected by a magnetic field. This radiation has a high intensity and a wide range of wavelengths, from infrared to X-rays.

2. How does synchrotron radiation contribute to the conservation of energy?

Synchrotron radiation follows the law of conservation of energy, meaning that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. In the case of synchrotron radiation, the energy lost by the accelerated particles is equal to the energy emitted in the form of radiation, ensuring that energy is conserved.

3. What are some applications of synchrotron radiation?

Synchrotron radiation has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and materials science. It is used to study the structure and behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level, as well as to analyze biological samples and investigate the properties of new materials.

4. How is synchrotron radiation produced?

Synchrotron radiation is produced in a particle accelerator called a synchrotron. Electrons are accelerated to high speeds and then directed into a circular path by a magnetic field. As the electrons move along this path, they emit synchrotron radiation, which is then directed towards experimental stations for various research purposes.

5. What are the benefits of using synchrotron radiation in scientific research?

Synchrotron radiation offers several benefits for scientific research, including high intensity and tunable wavelengths, which allow for precise and detailed analysis of materials. It also provides non-destructive and non-invasive methods for studying samples, making it an important tool in fields such as archaeology and paleontology. Additionally, synchrotron radiation can be produced continuously, allowing for large amounts of data to be collected in a short amount of time.