Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synchrotron radiation and conservation of energy

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    My question is "stupid"?

I do have very specific questions and I accept your invitation to ask them...

SpectraCat said:
    - "electrodynamics (i.e. Maxwell's equations) describes radiation from charged particles accelerating in a Coulomb field."

So I was asking him which one of the FOUR Maxwell's equations is he talking about. What is wrong with that? And, would you mind answering the question as you offered?

Rest of the questions:
    - 'Electronvolt' was calculated and experimentally confirmed according to Coulomb's law equation or some other equation?

- Do you think anyone would label Coulomb force as "conservative force" if they knew there was any loss of energy there?

SpectraCat said:
    - "an accelerating charge emits light, whether it is slowing down or speeding up."

You say:
    - "Electron radiates because it speeds up", is WRONG.
    - "Electron radiates because it slows down", is WRONG.

So, does that leaves us with:
    - Electron speeds up because it radiates. (CORRECT ?)
    - Electron slows down because it radiates. (CORRECT ?)

Can you clarify,
    Thank you

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

1. How about you ask one question at a time?

2. The majority of this has nothing to do with quantum mechanics. What you're asking is classical E&M (and thus, this thread will be moved to the appropriate forum).

3. Accelerated charges radiates. This is classical electrodynamics. Electrons speeding up or slowing down radiates. Which part of this do you dispute based on current physics?

Zz.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook