System of equations (multivariable second derivative test)

In summary, the conversation discusses using the second derivative test (multivariable version) to find critical points for a given function. The problem being faced is with solving a system of equations to determine the critical points from the partial derivatives. The equations are given and it is concluded that (0,0) and (0, +/-1) are solutions. It is also noted that y = +/-1 can be seen in the equation for the partial derivative but it is unclear how to arrive at this solution.
jonroberts74
I am doing critical points and using the second derivative test (multivariable version)

Homework Statement

[tex]f(x,y) = (x^2+y^2)e^{x^2-y^2}[/tex]
Issue I am having is with the system of equations to get the critical points from partial wrt x, wrt y

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f_{x} = 2xe^{x^2-y^2}+2xe^{x^2-y^2}(x^2+y^2)[/tex]
[tex]f_{y} = 2ye^{x^2-y^2}-2ye^{x^2-y^2}(x^2+y^2)[/tex]

It is pretty easy to see (0,0) makes both equal to zero

I know +/- 1 = y and x = 0 is a solution as well.

[tex](x^2+y^2)[/tex] is never negative let alone zero [over the reals]
[tex]e^{x^2-y^2}[/tex] won't be zero, it will get infinitesimally close to zero for values of square of y > square of x

and 2x+2x=0 only when x = 0

and 2y-2y=0 for all real values of y

how do I arrive at y = +/- 1 [ I can see it in the line just above but then I can use any real value for y]

Physics news on Phys.org
You should note that you have
\begin{equation*}
\frac{\partial f} {\partial x} = 2x e^{x^2 - y^2}(1 + x^2 + y^2)
\end{equation*}

and similarly for ## \frac{\partial f} {\partial y} ##.

Likes 1 person
thank you

1. What is the purpose of the multivariable second derivative test in a system of equations?

The multivariable second derivative test is used to determine whether a critical point in a system of equations is a local maximum, local minimum, or saddle point. It helps to identify the nature of the critical point and determine the behavior of the system of equations in the surrounding area.

2. How is the multivariable second derivative test performed?

The multivariable second derivative test involves calculating the second partial derivatives of the system of equations and evaluating them at the critical point. If the resulting value is positive, the critical point is a local minimum. If the resulting value is negative, the critical point is a local maximum. If the resulting value is zero, further analysis is needed to determine the nature of the critical point.

3. Can the multivariable second derivative test be applied to any system of equations?

No, the multivariable second derivative test can only be applied to systems of equations with at least two independent variables. It cannot be applied to systems of equations with only one independent variable.

4. What is the relationship between the multivariable second derivative test and the single variable second derivative test?

The multivariable second derivative test is an extension of the single variable second derivative test. Both tests involve evaluating the second derivative of a function at a critical point to determine its nature. However, the multivariable test also takes into account the second partial derivatives of the function with respect to each independent variable.

5. How does the multivariable second derivative test help in optimization problems?

The multivariable second derivative test helps in optimization problems by identifying the nature of critical points, which can then be used to determine the optimal solution. For example, a local minimum identified through the test can be used as the optimal solution for a system of equations.