1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of Equations

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A system of two equations with 3 variables is given.

x + 2y +z = 1
    3x - 4y = 2

calculate a thrird equation and add it to the system. the resulting system must have one and only one solution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

my guess is that I must solve the matrix

x + 2y +z = 1
    3x - 4y = 2
    ax + by+ cz =d

for x, y, z but I have no idea how to show that this system has only one solution.
    I really need help with this please. Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Here's a suggestion: write up the augmented matrix. Reduce it to row echelon form. Note that the coefficient of z in the ref must not be zero. Solve the system of 3 equations.

Here's what i got:[tex]z=\frac{-8a-b+10d}{-4a-3b+10c}[/tex]You can take any combinations of a,b,c,d as long as z is not equal to zero.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  4. May 18, 2012 #3
    I got z = (2b +4c)/(b+2d) im having some difficulties to calculate the augmented matrix with the variables. how did you came to your result?

assuming that I find x, y and z then is that all that the one solution I am ask to find ?

5. May 18, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just do Gaussian elimination. From the first equation you can get x in terms of y and z. Plugging that expression into the second equation, you have an equation containing y and z alone. You can use that equation to solve for y in terms of z (or for z in terms of y if you prefer). Let's say you have y in terms of z; from before, you also have x in terms of y and z, so can use your expression for y(z) to get x in terms of z. So now you have x and y both expressed in terms of z. Substituting your x and y expressions into the third equation gives you an equation involving z alone. You want that equation to have a unique solution for z, so that will give you restrictions on your parameters a, b, c and d.

RGV

6. May 21, 2012 #5
    by solving for z would it mean that the system would have only one solution? after finding z should I also find x and y in terms of a b c n d?

Thanks

7. May 21, 2012 #6
    Do I need to solve for x and y in terms of z ?

I'm being ask to calculate a third equation and to add it to the system.

Any advice please?

8. May 22, 2012 #7

sharks

Gold Member

Try simple substitutions. Let a, b = 0 and let c, d = 1. What do you get for z? Then, what does ax + by+ cz =d become?

9. May 22, 2012 #8
    why should z not be zero? So 0(x) 0(y) +1(z) =1 where a, b =0 and c, d =1

thanks for the help.

10. May 22, 2012 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What part of my previous response did you not understand? Did you actually sit down and DO what I suggested?

RGV

11. May 22, 2012 #10
    sorry I was confused justifying how does a,b=0 c,d=1 make a single solution to the system.

Thanks for your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook