Solving a System of Equations with 3 Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of two equations with three variables and the task of finding a third equation to add to the system in order to have a unique solution. The suggestion is to use Gaussian elimination and solve for z, then use substitutions to find x and y in terms of z. The goal is to find restrictions on the parameters a, b, c, and d that will result in a unique solution for the system.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

A system of two equations with 3 variables is given.

x + 2y +z = 1
3x - 4y = 2

calculate a thrird equation and add it to the system. the resulting system must have one and only one solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my guess is that I must solve the matrix

x + 2y +z = 1
3x - 4y = 2
ax + by+ cz =d

for x, y, z but I have no idea how to show that this system has only one solution.
I really need help with this please. Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a suggestion: write up the augmented matrix. Reduce it to row echelon form. Note that the coefficient of z in the ref must not be zero. Solve the system of 3 equations.

Here's what i got:[tex]z=\frac{-8a-b+10d}{-4a-3b+10c}[/tex]You can take any combinations of a,b,c,d as long as z is not equal to zero.

Last edited:
I got z = (2b +4c)/(b+2d) I am having some difficulties to calculate the augmented matrix with the variables. how did you came to your result?

assuming that I find x, y and z then is that all that the one solution I am ask to find ?

Jimmy84 said:

Homework Statement

A system of two equations with 3 variables is given.

x + 2y +z = 1
3x - 4y = 2

calculate a thrird equation and add it to the system. the resulting system must have one and only one solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my guess is that I must solve the matrix

x + 2y +z = 1
3x - 4y = 2
ax + by+ cz =d

for x, y, z but I have no idea how to show that this system has only one solution.
I really need help with this please. Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

Just do Gaussian elimination. From the first equation you can get x in terms of y and z. Plugging that expression into the second equation, you have an equation containing y and z alone. You can use that equation to solve for y in terms of z (or for z in terms of y if you prefer). Let's say you have y in terms of z; from before, you also have x in terms of y and z, so can use your expression for y(z) to get x in terms of z. So now you have x and y both expressed in terms of z. Substituting your x and y expressions into the third equation gives you an equation involving z alone. You want that equation to have a unique solution for z, so that will give you restrictions on your parameters a, b, c and d.

RGV

by solving for z would it mean that the system would have only one solution? after finding z should I also find x and y in terms of a b c n d?

Thanks

sharks said:
Here's a suggestion: write up the augmented matrix. Reduce it to row echelon form. Note that the coefficient of z in the ref must not be zero. Solve the system of 3 equations.

Here's what i got:[tex]z=\frac{-8a-b+10d}{-4a-3b+10c}[/tex]You can take any combinations of a,b,c,d as long as z is not equal to zero.

Do I need to solve for x and y in terms of z ?

I'm being ask to calculate a third equation and to add it to the system.

Any advice please?

sharks said:
You can take any combinations of a,b,c,d as long as z is not equal to zero.
Try simple substitutions. Let a, b = 0 and let c, d = 1. What do you get for z? Then, what does ax + by+ cz =d become?

sharks said:
Try simple substitutions. Let a, b = 0 and let c, d = 1. What do you get for z? Then, what does ax + by+ cz =d become?

why should z not be zero? So 0(x) 0(y) +1(z) =1 where a, b =0 and c, d =1

thanks for the help.

Jimmy84 said:
Do I need to solve for x and y in terms of z ?

I'm being ask to calculate a third equation and to add it to the system.

Any advice please?

What part of my previous response did you not understand? Did you actually sit down and DO what I suggested?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
What part of my previous response did you not understand? Did you actually sit down and DO what I suggested?

RGV

sorry I was confused justifying how does a,b=0 c,d=1 make a single solution to the system.

Thanks for your time.

1. What is a system of equations with 3 variables?

A system of equations with 3 variables is a set of three equations with three unknown variables that are connected by mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division.

2. How do you solve a system of equations with 3 variables?

To solve a system of equations with 3 variables, you can use a method called substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate one variable and then using that value to solve for the other variables.

3. What are the possible solutions to a system of equations with 3 variables?

A system of equations with 3 variables can have three types of solutions: unique solution, no solution, or infinite solutions. A unique solution means that there is only one set of values for the variables that satisfy all three equations. No solution means that there is no set of values that satisfy all three equations. Infinite solutions mean that there are multiple sets of values that satisfy all three equations.

4. Can a system of equations with 3 variables have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations with 3 variables can have more than one solution. This is called infinite solutions and occurs when the three equations are not independent and can be simplified to the same equation.

5. How can solving a system of equations with 3 variables be useful in science?

Solving a system of equations with 3 variables can be useful in science to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables. It can help in finding relationships between different variables and predicting the behavior of the system. It is also commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to solve real-world problems and make accurate calculations.