System of Masses and Pulley, Problem

In summary, the three blocks of mass are attached to strings and are pulled in different directions. The tension in the strings is the same in all directions, but the three masses have different accelerations. The sum of the external forces acting on the masses is equal to the acceleration times the sum of the masses. The acceleration is 0.613 m/s2.
fsun

Homework Statement

Calculate T1, T2 and T3. JPeg image of problem is attached.

Homework Equations

Sum of all forces = Mass of system x Acceleration of System

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have T1 and T3 figured out but I am having problems with T2.
if the (E = sum of)
EF = ma
T2 + Ff = ma (Ff = 0 b/c u = 0)
however 0.5 kg is hanging so Fg is acting on T2
So i treated Fg of 0.5 kg mass like I would friction. The thing that is troubling me is that I thought you could only add up forces in the same plane. i.e. x-plane or y-plane.

a = 0.61 m/s^2 to the left, from previous work

How do I relate Fg from the 0.5 mass with T2 (going left?)

My first attempt:

T2:
EF = ma = T2 +Fg
(4.5 kg)(0.61m/s^2) = T2 + (0.5kg)(-9.8m/s^2)
T2 = 7.6 N

I had two issue. B/C everything is accelerating to the left, I thought a should equal -0.61m/s^2 but then the T2 value seems too small.

The second issue relates to Fg in the y-plane and T2 in the x-plane. Can you sum these forces up?

Should t1 > t2 > t3? or not?

Thanks

Attachments

• System of Masses Problem.JPG
    System of Masses Problem.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity acts on every masses, but the gravitational force of one mass does not act on an other mass. Consider both blocks on the table separately. What forces act on the 2.5 kg block? Gravity of magnitude 2.5g acts downward, but it is canceled by the normal force from the table. Two pieces of string are connected to it. One piece pulls the block forward, the other piece pulls backwards. There are no more forces. The tension is the same in a string along all its length. So you know one force. And you know the acceleration: it is 0.61 m/s2 on the left. From this you can determine the resultant force exerted by the two strings.

ehild

My T2 solution above does not include direction for acceleration. However if I include the direction (left therefore "-" 0.61m/s^2) The tension seems to small. Under the assumption that T1 > T2 > T3.

At last I understood what you did. Your result T2=7.6 N is correct. And also T1>T2>T3.

The usual way to treat such problems is that we consider all bodies separately, but assume that all have the same acceleration. The direction of acceleration is along the string.

It is obvious to assume that the 1 kg mass will accelerate downward, under the effect of gravity and the tension T1 of the first string.

m1 a=m1g-T1

The second block of 2.5 kg mass is pulled to the left by the left string with force T1 and pulled to the right with the second string by force T2.

m2 a=T1-T2

The third block is pulled forward by T2 and backwards by T3

m3 a=T2-T3

The third block is pulled up by the third string with force T3 and gravity acts on it downward.

m4 a=T3-m4 g

Adding up all equations, the tensions cancel and we get that the sum of all external forces is equal to the acceleration times the sum of the masses, and this acceleration is 0.613 m/s2.

Plugging that value for a in the first equation,

T1= 1kg (9,8-0.613)=9.187 N.

T2 is obtained from the second equation:

2.5 *0.613=9.19-T2---> T2=7.654 N

and T3 comes from the third or fourth one:

4*0.613=T2-T3 --->T3=5.202 N

The fourth equation:T3-0.5 g = 0.613*0.5 --->T3=5.206 N.

The difference in the last digit comes from rounding error.

ehild

for your question! It seems like you are on the right track with your solution. Let's break it down step by step.

First, we can start by labeling all the forces acting on the system. We have T1, T2, T3, Fg (the weight of the 0.5 kg mass), and Ff (the friction force). We also know that the net force acting on the system is equal to the mass of the system (4.5 kg) times its acceleration (0.61 m/s^2). So we can write:

ΣF = ma = (4.5 kg)(0.61 m/s^2)

Next, we can look at the forces acting on each of the masses separately. For T1 and T3, the only other force acting on them is the weight of the 0.5 kg mass. So we can write:

T1 + Fg = (0.5 kg)(-9.8 m/s^2) (note that we use a negative sign for the weight because it is acting in the opposite direction of T1 and T3)

T3 + Fg = (0.5 kg)(-9.8 m/s^2)

Now for T2, we have two forces acting on it: T2 itself and the friction force Ff. So we can write:

T2 + Ff = ma = (4.5 kg)(0.61 m/s^2)

Now we can solve for each of the tensions:

T1 = (0.5 kg)(-9.8 m/s^2) - Fg = -4.9 N - Fg

T2 = (4.5 kg)(0.61 m/s^2) - Ff = 2.745 N - Ff

T3 = (0.5 kg)(-9.8 m/s^2) - Fg = -4.9 N - Fg

So now we just need to find the values of Ff and Fg. We can do this by using the equations for friction and weight:

Ff = μN = μmg (where μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force)

Fg = mg

We know that the coefficient of friction is 0, so Ff = 0. And we can calculate Fg:

Fg = (0.5 kg)(9.8 m

What is a System of Masses and Pulley?

A system of masses and pulley is a physical setup where multiple masses are connected by a series of pulleys and ropes, and they interact with each other through the tension in the ropes. This system is often used in physics experiments to study the principles of mechanics.

How does a System of Masses and Pulley work?

In a system of masses and pulley, the masses are connected by ropes that pass over pulleys. As one mass moves, the tension in the rope causes the other masses to move as well. The movement of the masses can be described and analyzed using Newton's laws of motion.

What are the applications of a System of Masses and Pulley?

A system of masses and pulley is used in various real-life applications such as elevators, cranes, and conveyor belts. It is also used in physics experiments to study concepts such as acceleration, force, and tension.

How is the tension in a System of Masses and Pulley calculated?

The tension in a system of masses and pulley is calculated using the equations of motion and considering the masses and pulleys as a single system. The tension in the rope is equal throughout the system and depends on the mass of the objects and the acceleration of the system.

What factors affect the motion of a System of Masses and Pulley?

The motion of a system of masses and pulley is affected by various factors such as the mass of the objects, the number of pulleys, the friction between the pulleys and ropes, and external forces such as gravity. These factors can change the acceleration and tension in the system, affecting its overall motion.