How can I solve a three-box system force problem?

In summary, three boxes of equal mass are slid across a frictionless surface. 100N of force is applied to the first box, causing it to push against the second and third boxes. A free body diagram is drawn for each box. Using the equation [sigma]F=ma, the acceleration of the system is calculated and the net force on each block is determined. The force of contact that each block exerts on its neighbor is also considered. It is important to note that since the surface is frictionless, the normal forces and weights cancel out, leaving only the horizontal forces to be considered.
Ilyo

Homework Statement

three boxes are slid across a frictionless surface, 100N is applied to m1(mass1) which is pushed against m2 and m3 each box weighs 10 kg
a draw a free body diagram for each box
b find the acceleration of the system
c the net force on each block
d the force of contact that each block exerts on its neighbor

Homework Equations

[sigma]F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I have drawn my free body diagrams

then I set up my equation for part b
though I am not sure where to go from there I was hoping somone could show me how to do the rest of the problem with different values than the ones I was given, and explain how they did it so I can get a better grasp on what to do here..

{now since it is a frictionless surface and a normal force pushes back as much as is applied to it would the third objects normal force be 100 Newtons? If so then it would be really simple and turn out to bed
NF=ma
100=10a} <---I understand this is wrong...

I feel way off track?

Thanks for your insights

Attachments

• freebody.png
    freebody.png
    3 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make a picture with a drawing program and upload as attachment.

Draw the normal forces in your figure. The boxes are in contact, so they move together with the same acceleration. Apply sum(F) =ma for each block.

ehild

fixed...

The first block is pushed with Fa. Fa can not act between two blocks.

Two boxes act to each other with forces of equal magnitude and opposite directions.

The boxes move on a horizontal surface, their weight, mg, cancels with the normal force of the surface. You need to work only with the horizontal forces .
There is no normal force at the free end of the third box.ehild

if there is no normal force at the end of the last box then what is pushing it forward?

Ilyo said:
if there is no normal force at the end of the last box then what is pushing it forward?

The other box at the other side.

ehild

right right.. I think I got it now thanks ^^

FAQ: How can I solve a three-box system force problem?

1. What is a systems force problem?

A systems force problem is a type of scientific problem that involves analyzing and understanding the interactions and forces between different components of a system. It can also refer to any problem that arises from the complex relationships between various factors within a system.

2. How do you approach solving a systems force problem?

When faced with a systems force problem, it is important to first identify all the components of the system and the forces acting between them. Then, mathematical and/or computational models can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of the system. Finally, experiments and observations can be conducted to validate the results and refine the model.

3. What are some examples of systems force problems?

Examples of systems force problems include understanding the forces involved in weather patterns, analyzing the interactions between different organs in the human body, and studying the forces that govern the movement of planets in our solar system.

4. How important is understanding systems force problems in different fields of science?

Understanding systems force problems is crucial in many scientific fields, as it allows for a deeper understanding of complex systems and can lead to the development of new technologies and solutions. It is particularly important in fields such as physics, biology, and engineering, where systems and their interactions are key to understanding and solving problems.

5. What are some challenges in solving systems force problems?

Solving systems force problems can be challenging due to the complexity of the systems involved, the multitude of variables and forces at play, and the need for accurate and precise measurements and calculations. Additionally, many systems force problems are still not fully understood, which presents a constant challenge for scientists to continue investigating and solving these complex problems.