Dynamics Problem -- box accelerated horizontally via a mass & pulley system

In summary: The tension is the constraint in the system that has to be satisfied. So you have to use the equations of motion of the blocks (F=ma) and the constraint (tension) to solve for the acceleration of the system as a whole.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the magnitude of acceleration of a 1.0 kg box on a horizontal frictionless surface, which has been accelerated by attaching a 1.5 kg mass to it. The conversation includes drawing a free body diagram, calculating the force of gravity on the 1.5 kg object, and discussing the equations of motion and kinematic constraints that need to be considered in solving the problem. The conversation emphasizes the importance of working through each step of the problem
frosty

Homework Statement

A 1.0 kg box on a horizontal frictionless surface is accelerated by attaching a 1.5 kg mass as shown in the diagram. What is the magnitude of acceleration of the box?(Remember, both boxes accelerate.)
rLv44Cj.png

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram of all the forces on the system.
esAnZYp.png

The only thing I can calculate from here is the force of gravity on the 1.5 kg object.
Fg = mg
Fg = (1.5 kg) (-9.81m/s^2)
Fg = -14.7 N

Where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the two equations of motion, one for each block and then impose the kinematic constraint existing between the two of them.

frosty said:
Where do I go from here?
You have a force of 14.7N accelerating a body of mass 2.5kg. You're almost done.

BTW, frosty ... http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
You have a force of 14.7N accelerating a body of mass 2.5kg. You're almost done.

It is not a good practice to jump to the answer. Far better to work through the equations of motion, see how they can be combined to get the final answer. In more complicated situations, it is usually not possible to simply jump to the final calculation.

Likes Chestermiller and PhanthomJay
OldEngr63 said:
It is not a good practice to jump to the answer. Far better to work through the equations of motion
Even better is to be adept at both---using short working when that is all that's required, such as for questions like this that you typically find on multiple-choice achievement tests, and using more thorough analysis when more parameters are sought.

An A grade student will be able to demonstrate how the result of one confirms the other.

NascentOxygen said:
Even better is to be adept at both---using short working when that is all that's required, such as for questions like this that you typically find on multiple-choice achievement tests, and using more thorough analysis when more parameters are sought.

Anyone requesting help on PF for a problem such as this is clearly a beginner. Beginners do not need encouragement to cut corners. They need to learn to work through every step of the problem, without skipping steps. Only then, after the whole idea is mastered will the, on their own, begin to skip steps.

As an engineering professor, I have seen far too many students who could "see" the answer to the simple problems, but they had no idea how to systematically approach a more complex problem. I think that they must have been previously taught by NacentOxygen.

NascentOxygen said:

BTW, frosty ... http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif
I got the answer but I don't see connection between the two. What about the tension on the 1.5 kg object why is that ignored?

Last edited by a moderator:
OldEngr63 said:
Write the two equations of motion, one for each block and then impose the kinematic constraint existing between the two of them.
Which equations?

Frosty, thank you for making my point with NacentOxygen so neatly. This is exactly why I said, you need to write the two equations of motion, one for each block, and then impose the kinematic constraint existing between the two of them.

Write F = m*a for each block, including in the force sums the tension in the cord that joins the two blocks. Then see if you can carry out the next step on your own.

frosty said:
I got the answer but I don't see connection between the two. What about the tension on the 1.5 kg object why is that ignored?
It's not ignored. That tension is what causes the blocks to move as one body, it causes the 1kg block to follow along.

1. What is the purpose of a mass and pulley system in a dynamics problem?

A mass and pulley system is used in dynamics problems to demonstrate the principles of acceleration, force, and tension. It allows for a simplified representation of a real-world scenario, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. How does a mass and pulley system affect the motion of an object?

A mass and pulley system can affect the motion of an object by changing its velocity, either increasing or decreasing it depending on the direction of the acceleration. The system can also affect the direction of the object's motion, as the pulley changes the direction of the force applied by the mass.

3. What are the key equations used to solve a dynamics problem involving a mass and pulley system?

The key equations used to solve a dynamics problem involving a mass and pulley system are Newton's second law of motion (F=ma), the formula for acceleration (a = Δv/Δt), and the equations for calculating tension (T = m1g - m2a) and acceleration (a = (m1-m2)g/(m1+m2)).

4. How does the mass of the objects in a mass and pulley system affect the acceleration?

The mass of the objects in a mass and pulley system affects the acceleration by determining the amount of force and tension in the system. As the mass of the objects increases, the force and tension also increase, resulting in a greater acceleration.

5. What are some common sources of error in a dynamics problem involving a mass and pulley system?

Some common sources of error in a dynamics problem involving a mass and pulley system include friction in the pulley, air resistance, and the accuracy of measurements. Neglecting these factors can result in inaccurate calculations and solutions.