T-Shaped Pendulum: Find the Total Mechanical Energy

In summary, the individual had an incorrect answer of 0.204J for Part B, but after receiving a comment, they realized their error and corrected it to 0.0611J. They also finished solving the whole problem and found the time period of the pendulum to be 1.09s. They also discussed the importance of calculating the change in potential energy and the equation used for "h".
Nate
Homework Statement
A pendulum is made from two identical uniform thin rods and hung from a point O. These each have a length 𝐿 and a mass 𝑚. The moment of inertia of a thin rod of length 𝐿 and a mass 𝑚 around its centre is 𝐼=𝑚𝐿^2/12.
Part A:Given that 𝐿=31.0cm and 𝑚=100g, what is the moment of inertia of the whole T about the point O?
Part B: What is the potential energy of the pendulum if it is at an angle 𝜃=30.0° to the vertical, if its potential energy is taken to be zero at 𝜃=0°?
Part C: By working out the total energy when the pendulum is in motion, and remembering that this must remain constant, or by using the angular equivalent of Newton's Second Law, find the period of small oscillations of the pendulum.
Relevant Equations
For Part A a relevant equation is the parallel axis theorem, I=I𝖢𝗈𝖬+𝑚l^2
For Part B a relevant equation is potential energy (PE)=mgh
For Part C a relevant equation for simple harmonic motion is ¨x =−𝜔^2x
My answer to part A is correct but for Part B I got an incorrect answer of 0.204J. My working out is sent as an attachment.

1594310927812.png

Part A:
1594311114721.png

Part B:
1594310952131.png

Part C:
1594310967956.png

Attachments

• T Shaped Pendulum.pdf
    935.2 KB · Views: 417
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Putting your work in an attachment makes it difficult to comment on. In the future, type up your work right here.

You found the location of the center of mass. Compare the initial and final positions of that center of mass. (I don't see where you got the equation you used for "h".)

Hi Doc Al, Thank you for your comment, I appreciate this! I just worked out Part B! I made an error for the "h" equation. Since h=l(1-cosθ) and the position of the centre of mass from the point O is l/4 then the position of the centre of mass from the pivot is 3l/4. Therefore the potential energy is 3/4x0.31x2x0.1x9.81x(1-cos30)=0.0611J(3sf). This is the correct answer for Part B. I am not sure what the outcome would be if I compare the initial and final positions of the centre of mass?

Hi Doc Al, I just finished solving the whole problem, the time period of the pendulum is 1.09s(3sf).

Nate said:
I am not sure what the outcome would be if I compare the initial and final positions of the centre of mass?
You might not realize it, but that's exactly what you calculated. :smile:

To calculate the change in potential energy you must calculate how high the center of mass raises from its initial position. That's what "h" is. (And you did it.)

Oh, that's true! Thank you!

Nate said:
Hi Doc Al, I just finished solving the whole problem, the time period of the pendulum is 1.09s(3sf).
Hey, would you mind working me through how you got that? I am a bit stuck

PraneethL said:
This thread is more than a 3 years old and @Nate has not been seen here in more than 2 years. Chances are you will not get answer from him any time soon. I suggest that you post your question on a separate homework thread.

Since you are new here, please read, understand and follow our homework guidelines, especially item 4, here
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

Likes topsquark and berkeman
PraneethL said:
Welcome to PF.

As mentioned, please start a new thread in these schoolwork forums and show your work on the solution. You will get great help here as long as you show your work Thank you.

This thread is now closed.

Likes topsquark

1. What is a T-shaped pendulum?

A T-shaped pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rod or stick with a weight attached to one end and a pivot point at the other end. The shape of the pendulum resembles the letter "T", hence the name.

2. How is the total mechanical energy of a T-shaped pendulum calculated?

The total mechanical energy of a T-shaped pendulum is calculated by adding the kinetic energy and potential energy of the pendulum. The formula is E = KE + PE, where E is the total mechanical energy, KE is the kinetic energy, and PE is the potential energy.

3. What factors affect the total mechanical energy of a T-shaped pendulum?

The total mechanical energy of a T-shaped pendulum is affected by the mass of the weight, the length of the rod, the angle at which the pendulum is released, and the force of gravity.

4. How does the total mechanical energy of a T-shaped pendulum change over time?

The total mechanical energy of a T-shaped pendulum remains constant over time, as long as there is no external force acting on the pendulum. This is due to the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

5. What is the significance of finding the total mechanical energy of a T-shaped pendulum?

Finding the total mechanical energy of a T-shaped pendulum allows us to understand and predict the motion of the pendulum. It also helps us to analyze the relationship between kinetic and potential energy, and how they change as the pendulum swings back and forth.