Tackling a Tough Momentum Problem: Solving the Mystery

In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics test that was difficult due to a problem involving conservation of momentum and angular momentum. The problem, which can be found at a provided link, involves a collision between two balls that is perfectly elastic. The exact location of the collision is not given, making it challenging to solve. The conversation also mentions using AutoCAD to solve the problem and the lack of realism in the problem. The conversation ultimately concludes with a discussion about the angles and velocities of the balls after the collision.
EebamXela
I had a test today that was really tough.

We just went over conservation of momentum and angular momentum and that stuff.

The hardest problem on the test looks like this:

http://alexmabee.googlepages.com/problem.jpg/problem-full.jpg

I can't for the life of me figure out how to solve it. I asked the teacher if there was missing information and she said that everything you need is there.

The problem I have with it is that the location of the collision between A and B is not given. I think it can be found, but i have no idea how. The collisions are perfectly elastic so the coefficient of restitution equals one, so you know that the velocities of A and B after the collide will be at 90 degrees to each other.

I drew the problem to scale in AutoCAD with exact angles and such because AutoCAD is sweet and can calculate it all. But how the hell does one go about doing that by hand on paper?

I tried using conservation of Linear momentum and also using conservation of angular momentum ( r x mv ) taking the center of rotation to be the lower left corner of the pool table and came out with a bunch of unknowns and not enough equations.

HELP!

(if this is the wrong forum for topics like this, sorry)

Physics news on Phys.org
You may not have wasted enough of your life in poolrooms to see it, although the problem is not completely realistic. Can you work out what the angle is between A1-A2 and A2-A3?

TVP45 said:
You may not have wasted enough of your life in poolrooms to see it, although the problem is not completely realistic. Can you work out what the angle is between A1-A2 and A2-A3?

See that's the hard part. No I can't figure it out. I know the problem isn't realistic, but no problems on a physics test are ever realistic. The problem states that it can be assumed to be frictionless and perfectly elastic.

So have you figured it out yet? Look at the angle between B1-B2 and A1-A2. Do you know anything about that?

The lack of realism I mentioned is that ball A picks up some angular momentum at the collision with B (side English) and the collision with C will look a little different. A pool player would go "huh?" when looking at the diagram. However, for a Physics problem, that really doesn't matter - we can just ignore it.

In order to have English on a ball you need friction. This simplified problem has no friction. The balls themselves can be considered point masses.

If you use computer aided drafting software like AutoCAD you can calculate the angle in question. It turns out to be 31.717 degrees. You know that the exit velocities of A and B have to be perpendicular because it is a perfectly elastic collision, and you also know where A goes from there and where B goes from there.

I missed the part where the balls are point masses; you're right that there can be no English under that condition. BTW, most pool simulations (and even games) always use that assumption.

So, you know that A and B depart perpendicularly. Then, you know the tan of one line is the cot of the other. Since you know the vertical travel of each, you can equate the horizontal travel of one in terms of the other. Then, when you subtract one horizontal from the other horizontal, you get how much?

Related to Tackling a Tough Momentum Problem: Solving the Mystery

1. What is a momentum problem?

A momentum problem is a physics concept that involves the motion of an object and its velocity. It is a measure of an object's mass and its rate of change in velocity. In simpler terms, it is the force that causes an object to continue moving in a certain direction.

2. What makes a momentum problem tough?

A momentum problem can be tough because it involves multiple variables such as mass, velocity, and acceleration, and requires understanding of complex mathematical equations. Additionally, real-life scenarios often involve external forces such as friction, which can make the problem more challenging to solve.

3. How do I approach a tough momentum problem?

The key to solving a tough momentum problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying all the given variables and drawing a diagram to visualize the situation. Then, use the appropriate equations and principles of physics to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What are some tips for solving a tough momentum problem?

One helpful tip is to make sure you have a clear understanding of the concepts and equations involved in solving the problem. Another tip is to check your units and ensure they are consistent throughout the problem. It can also be helpful to work backwards and double-check your final answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can I use real-life examples to better understand momentum problems?

Yes, using real-life examples can often make it easier to understand and solve tough momentum problems. For example, you can think about a car collision or a sports game to apply the concepts of momentum, mass, and velocity. Additionally, there are many online resources and simulations that provide real-life scenarios to practice solving momentum problems.