1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Take v(t) and h(t) to make v(h)

1. Feb 10, 2017 #1
    So I have some very complicated functions that do not have trivial inverses, but I'd really like to make a new function from them. What I have is:
    v(t): velocity as a function of time
    h(t): height as a function of time (never mind that is says hb)
    upload_2017-2-10_10-52-29.png

What I want:
    v(h): velocity as a function of height

The height function goes as an exponential function, so there are no local minima to worry about:
    upload_2017-2-10_10-51-4.png

Other than fitting a polynomial to the h(t) function (which I'm not sure would be invertible anyway), does anyone know of a good way to combine these functions into v(h)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know if there is a closed-form analytical solution, but since you are sure that h(t) is monotonically increasing, you could make a table of t as a function of h and fit a function through it.
    From the looks of it, I would first try taking a logarithm of height and see if a regression line gives you the accuracy you want.
    If that doesn't work, you can fit a spline function through it and make the resolution as good as you need. (A spline would only be practical if you make computer code to implement it.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  4. Feb 10, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How/where do you need v(h)? It is easy to calculate individual points, and you can also calculate the derivative v'(h) analytically for every point where you know t.
    If (b+k)/k is a small integer, it is possible to write down t(h) in closed form, otherwise it is probably impossible.

Introducing new variables for t-independent stuff would make the equations much more readable.

5. Feb 10, 2017 #4
    The reason I want this v(h) form is so that I can integrate a function which relies, in part, on v(t).

So... I have another function:
    [tex]F(t,h)=c_1v(t)+c_2g(h)[/tex]
    where [itex]c_1[/itex] and [itex]c_2[/itex] are constants and [itex]g(h)[/itex] is another well-understood function of height.
    What I want to find is:
    [tex]\int_{h=0}^{h_f}F dh[/tex]
    to find the work done by this force over some height. And since velocity and height are well-defined functions, I figured it would make my life easier to integrate over a single variable, [itex]dh[/itex], instead of trying to figure out how to get work from a function of both time and height.

So, if I could get [itex]t(h)[/itex] and plug that into [itex]v(t(h))[/itex], my life would be easier...

Unfortunately, the quantity [itex](b+k)/k[/itex] will be, at best, [itex]1[/itex] so it can't be ignored...

6. Feb 10, 2017 #5
    Ummm... maybe I could do this (please comment your thoughts!):

[tex]\int_{h=0}^{h_f} F dh = \int_{h=0}^{h_f} F dh \frac{dt}{dt} = \int_{t=0}^{t_f} F v(t) dt[/tex]

Does that work, or is there a different conversion for the limits of integration or differential element that I'm forgetting?

7. Feb 10, 2017 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you need it to be closed form or can you use numerical methods?

8. Feb 10, 2017 #7
    Numerical results are perfectly fine!

9. Feb 10, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

If it is 1, h(t) is a polynomial of degree 2, and easy to invert.

Numerically, you can just integrate over t and don't need anything special.

10. Feb 11, 2017 #9
    Yeah the problem is, it'll never be 1 in reality. It'll be something like (0.05+k)/k which is why it's so hard to invert.

11. Feb 11, 2017 #10

mfb

2016 Award

All that doesn't matter if you just need a numerical value for the integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted