Taking a year off

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
zoobyshoe said:
Isn't allowed to move? By whom and why not? This is very mysterious to me.

his familily, but thats his issue, not mine, if he wants to discuss, he can, but i shouldn't get into his personal life on here.

anyway, Mattius,
its definitely nice to hear i'm not alone in my predicament. of course, i make things a bit more awkward since i already decided to move, but the thought of moving is pretty much keeping me sane, so crazy as it is, i'm glad i'm doing it. i think the hardest part for me is that well, i'm dissapointed in myself. its not that i think i could do better, i'm trying, it just... i dunno, sleep seems more important than exams sometimes. i'm so young and its hard to take school seriously i guess, especially cause i never have before. i want to take time off just to straighten out who i am. I know i want a degree, and i'm lucky, cause i KNOW i want to study math. i just don't feel like i'm really ready for it.

sometimes i'll be in class, like.. today actually. we're going over quantum tunneling. i'm just like "WOW... i remember reading this in story books when i was kid, before i knew any real physics!" and then i realize, that was like, 3 years ago. its hard to even take myself seriously. how could i have learned that much in 3 years? i still vividly remember learning long division. honestly, its hard to believe i'm even supposed to do well in school. i can't blame myself for doing poorly, cause i'm just a kid. and thats the thing really, i go through "learning" stuff, but i don't retain it. i just keep pushing myself through the system fast as i can, but its more detrimental than anything. and i sort of feel like its time to slow down...

i dunno, then again, i feel like, if i take time off or slow down... i feel like i lose half of who i am. in lab i'm known as "little girl" cause i'm the only 18 year old amongst 20-21 yr olds, (one guy is like 35 too.) its just who i am to be young and bright and speeding through school... its what my parents brag about, its how my friends introduce me to strangers, its me..
i even feel like hosam will really see me differently, all my friends too. the biggest thing we have in common is our studies. if i lose that....

so i really didn't want to take a year off, i really didn't. but the more i've thought about it, it may be best. everyone knows i tend to rush through life, (remember when i was engaged.. heh) maybe its time to slow down and grow up a little before i get caught up in a life i'm not ready for. i don't know...

i've spent all afternoon looking into americorps programs and jobs online... augh

My advice would be to stay in school, but just go down to part time. If you are slacking you might want to think about what classes you are slacking in. If it's gen eds, you might want to think about just taking classes in your major instead, if they interest and motivate you. If you are slacking in math and physics classes though it might be a more sensible alternative to switch your major to something more geared toward "getting a job" like business. Then, you can eventually go back and finish your math and physics degree but you'll have business to fall back on. I don't think quitting school is the greatest idea because if you have to pay all of your loans then you might feel overwhelm financially....whereas if you finish something and get some work experience while you do it you will be all set to get a job and pay off your school loans and then when you've done that you can go back to school for your dream career at your own pace.

Gale said:
his familily, but thats his issue, not mine, if he wants to discuss, he can, but i shouldn't get into his personal life on here.
I sorta get the picture.