Taking the derivative of a function (looks easy but I don't know how to do it)

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the expression f(x) = x(x-5)^4 using the product rule and chain rule. The correct answer is 5(x-5)^3(x-1), which can be obtained by factoring out (x-5)^3 from both terms in the solution. No expansion is necessary.
appplejack

Homework Statement

f(x) = x(x-5)^4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used product rule and chain rule so,
1(x-5)^4 + 4x(x-5)^3(1)

The answer to this question is 5(x-5)^3(x-1). I left it like the answer above. I don't know how to expand (x-5)^4. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
appplejack said:

Homework Statement

f(x) = x(x-5)^4

Homework Equations

1(x-5)^4 + 4x(x-5)^3(1)

The answer to this question is 5(x-5)^3(x-1). I left it like the answer above. I don't know how to expand (x-5)^4. Thanks.

Your differentiation looks right. Just factorise out the [itex](x-5)^3[/itex] and you should be able to get it in that form.

appplejack said:

Homework Statement

f(x) = x(x-5)^4

Homework Equations

1(x-5)^4 + 4x(x-5)^3(1)

Don't expand (x-5)^4. Factor (x-5)^3 out of both terms of your answer and collect what's left.

No expansion is necessary, simply rewrite it as [itex](x-5)(x-5)^3[/itex]. Then you'll have a term [itex]x(x-5)^3[/itex] and [itex] -5(x-5)^3[/itex].

haha. Why didn't I see that? Thanks guys.

Related to Taking the derivative of a function (looks easy but I don't know how to do it)

1. What is the concept of taking the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function is a measure of how much the output of the function changes with respect to the input. It is the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph.

2. Why is taking the derivative important in science?

Taking the derivative allows us to analyze how a system or process is changing over time. It is used in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and predict the behavior of systems.

3. How do you take the derivative of a function?

To take the derivative of a function, you need to use the rules of differentiation. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. It involves finding the limit of a difference quotient as the change in input approaches zero.

4. What are some common mistakes when taking the derivative?

Some common mistakes when taking the derivative include forgetting to apply the correct differentiation rule, making algebraic errors, and not simplifying the final result. It is also important to pay attention to the domain and range of the function to avoid taking derivatives of discontinuous or undefined points.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in taking derivatives?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in taking derivatives is to solve a variety of problems using different differentiation rules. You can also use online resources or textbooks to find practice problems and solutions. It is also helpful to understand the applications of derivatives in real-life situations.