Taking up QFT for the first time

• Thread starter aav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the conserved charge, Q, in terms of the ladder operators, \hat{a}, \hat{a}\dagger , \hat{b} and \hat{b}\dagger , for a free complex Klein-Gordon field \phi under global gauge transformation. The Noether current, j^{\mu}, is given by \imath \left( \phi \partial^{\mu} \phi\dagger - \phi\dagger \partial^{\mu} \phi \right), and the conserved charge is expressed as Q = \int d^3x j^0 = -\imath \int d^3x \left( \pi \phi
aav
I'm taking up QFT for the first time. Basic question really. Given the free complex Klein-Gordon field [tex]\phi[/tex] under the global gauge transformation [tex]exp(\imath\alpha)[/tex] where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is some real parameter, the Noether current is given by
[tex] j^{\mu}=\imath \left( \phi \partial^{\mu} \phi\dagger - \phi\dagger \partial^{\mu} \phi \right) [/tex]
Now, the conserved charge is Q, given by
[tex] Q = \int d^3x j^0 = -\imath \int d^3x \left( \pi \phi - \pi\dagger\phi\dagger \right) [/tex]
where [tex]\pi[/tex] is the conjugate field momentum.

Question is: if I want to express Q in terms of the ladder operators
[tex] \hat{a}[/tex], [tex]\hat{a}\dagger [/tex], [tex] \hat{b}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{b}\dagger [/tex], do I need to symmetrize the field operators [tex] \hat{\phi} [/tex] and [tex] \hat{\pi} [/tex], since they do not commute?

I searched the usual books but there seems to be no comment on the subject. I performed the calculation for [tex]\hat{Q}[/tex] using symmetrized field operators and obtained the usual result, but perhaps it was unnecessary?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a lot easier if you compute the classical expression for Q using the complex amplitudes a,a*,b,b* and then, when doing the quantization, do the necessary symmetrizations required by the quantization procedure.

So i guess it was unnecessary to do it on phi & pi. It's a lot clearer if it's done on the classical expression of Q.

Daniel.

your expression for Q is not correct, since its not hermitian. you need to change the ordering of the pi and phi in one of your terms.

then just plug in the quatnum expression of the phi and pi (in terms of creation operators) into that expression.

you can then verify that this IS a charge operator by considering a any definite particle state and noticing that it is an eigenstate of Q with eigenvalue of the form N-M (particles - antiparticles).

The second thing you should check is the Q and H commute.

You also might want to check that Q generates the symmetry transformation that gave you the conserved quantity Q in the first place.

then you will have proved beyond doubt that Q is the conservd charge operator, and that the symmetry of the classical field theory implies a symmetry of the quantum system.

A general thing to keep in mind is that: Noether's theorem is a CLASSICAL result. it does not ALWAYS hold up in the quantum version as quantum effects can break the symmetry. when you study path integrals you will understand this better (the path integral measure is sometimes not invariant under the symmetry in a way which can have physical consequences)

Last edited:
Thanks for the assist :smile:

simic4 said:
your expression for Q is not correct, since its not hermitian. you need to change the ordering of the pi and phi in one of your terms. then just plug in the quatnum expression of the phi and pi (in terms of creation operators) into that expression.

Yes, that was my mistake. Either version
[tex]j^0=-\imath\left(\pi\phi-\phi^{\dagger}\pi^{\dagger}\right)[/tex]
[tex]j^0=-\imath\left(\phi\pi-\pi^{\dagger}\phi^{\dagger}\right)[/tex]
gives the desired result.

I also overlooked Greiner's expression eqn. (4.67) giving the charge in terms of normally ordered operators
[tex]\hat{Q} = \imath \int d^3x : \phi^{\dagger}\pi^{\dagger}-\pi\phi : [/tex]
(I guess I should stop eyeing the girl from the condensed matter lab who sits next to me and focus more on the book)

simic4 said:
you can then verify that this IS a charge operator by considering a any definite particle state and noticing that it is an eigenstate of Q with eigenvalue of the form N-M (particles - antiparticles).
The second thing you should check is the Q and H commute.

Hm. The field Hamiltonian is also expressible in terms of [tex]N_a[/tex] and [tex]N_b[/tex], so H commutes with Q, so they have a common set of eigenstates, namely the particle number states.

simic4 said:
You also might want to check that Q generates the symmetry transformation that gave you the conserved quantity Q in the first place.

Okay, if [tex]\mid q \rangle[/tex] is an eigenstate of Q then [tex]e^{\imath\hat{Q}}\mid q \rangle=e^{\imath q}\mid q \rangle[/tex]. Assuming a state can be expanded in terms of eigenstates of Q, we can generalize that statement accordingly, in which case [tex]e^{\imath q'}[/tex] is the global phase shift, and q' the total charge from all the contributing eigenstates (times some proportionality constant, I suppose). Is this correct?

Last edited:
aav said:
(I guess I should stop eyeing the girl from the condensed matter lab who sits next to me and focus more on the book)

Why don't ask HER to check your results? Could be the start of something beautiful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is QFT?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. Why is QFT important?

QFT is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of fundamental particles, such as electrons and photons. It is also a crucial tool for studying the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

3. What are the prerequisites for learning QFT?

A strong understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism is necessary for learning QFT. A solid foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is also essential. Familiarity with quantum mechanics is helpful but not mandatory.

4. How is QFT different from other theories of physics?

QFT differs from other theories of physics, such as classical mechanics and quantum mechanics, in that it describes particles as excitations of quantum fields rather than as discrete particles. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of particle interactions and can account for phenomena such as particle creation and annihilation.

5. What resources are available for learning QFT?

There are many textbooks, online courses, and lecture notes available for learning QFT. Some popular textbooks include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen Blundell, and "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael Peskin and Daniel Schroeder. Online resources such as MIT's OpenCourseWare also offer free lectures, notes, and assignments for learning QFT.