Understanding Tangent Map Derivation in S.S. Chern's Ebook

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of tangent maps and the confusion surrounding the derivation of equation 2.38 from the second equality to the third. The individual responding provides a detailed explanation and also mentions a bug that causes issues with displaying LaTeX images.
Sumanta
Hi,

I am trying to understand the concept of tangent map and following the ebook of S S Chern.
I am a bit confused about the derivation of the tangent map acting on the basis

I tried for sometime to type out the equation but it appears I am having problems with the display and not sure what is being refreshed. Hence I am providing the link

http://www.worldscibooks.com/etextbook/3812/3812_chap1_2.pdf .

The derivation of equation 2.38 from the second equality to the third is not clear to me.

Could anyone kindly explain.

Thx
Sumanta

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It took me a while to get used to his notation, but now I see that what he's doing is this:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
&\sum_{j=1}^m\bigg\langle\frac{\partial}{\partial u^i},du^j\bigg\rangle\bigg(\frac{\partial F^\alpha}{\partial u^j}\bigg)_p
=\sum_{j=1}^m\delta^j_i\bigg(\frac{\partial F^\alpha}{\partial u^j}\bigg)_p
=\bigg(\frac{\partial F^\alpha}{\partial u^i}\bigg)_p
=\sum_{\beta=1}^n\bigg(\frac{\partial F^\beta}{\partial u^i}\bigg)_p\delta^\alpha_\beta\\
&=\sum_{\beta=1}^n\bigg(\frac{\partial F^\beta}{\partial u^i}\bigg)_p\bigg\langle\frac{\partial}{\partial v^\beta},dv^\alpha\bigg\rangle
=\bigg\langle\sum_{\beta=1}^n\bigg(\frac{\partial F^\beta}{\partial u^i}\bigg)_p\frac{\partial}{\partial v^\beta},dv^\alpha\bigg\rangle
\end{align*}
[/tex]

There's a bug that causes the wrong LaTeX images to appear in previews. The only workaround is to refresh and resend after each preview, and sometimes also after saving an edit. (Also note that a closing tex tag looks like this: [noparse][/tex][/noparse]).

Last edited:

1. What is a tangent map in S.S. Chern's Ebook?

A tangent map in S.S. Chern's Ebook refers to the derivative of a smooth map between two manifolds. It is used to study the behavior of a function when the input and output are both changing continuously.

2. How is the tangent map derived in S.S. Chern's Ebook?

The tangent map is derived using the concept of differentiability. The derivative of a smooth map can be understood as the linear approximation of the map at a given point. In other words, it tells us how the map changes in a small neighborhood around that point.

3. Why is understanding tangent map derivation important in S.S. Chern's Ebook?

Understanding tangent map derivation is important because it allows us to study the local behavior of a smooth map and make predictions about its global behavior. This is crucial in many applications, such as in physics and engineering, where we need to analyze the behavior of continuously changing systems.

4. What are some key concepts to keep in mind when studying tangent map derivation in S.S. Chern's Ebook?

Some key concepts to keep in mind when studying tangent map derivation include the chain rule, the inverse function theorem, and the implicit function theorem. These concepts help us to understand how the tangent map relates to the original function and how it can be calculated.

5. How can I improve my understanding of tangent map derivation in S.S. Chern's Ebook?

To improve your understanding of tangent map derivation, it is important to practice solving problems and working through examples. It may also be helpful to review the basics of calculus and differential geometry. Additionally, seeking out additional resources and discussing the topic with others can also aid in understanding.