Finding the Tangent Plane at a Point on a Unit Sphere

In summary: Just divide your equation by √3. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a tangent plane at a specific point on a unit sphere with the center at the origin. The solution is simpler and does not require gradients. The surface normal vector is given by (2x, 2y, 2z) and the equation of the plane is found by using the parameters of the radius vector and the distance between the plane and the origin. The conversation also mentions an incorrect answer choice and the correct solution being closer to another incorrect answer choice.
JonNash
The equation of a tangent plane at the point (1/sqrt3, -1/sqrt3, 1/sqrt3) for a unit sphere with center at origin.

I'm studying for an entrance and this is in the previous question paper MCQ. I've been trying to solve this by studying similar problems but somehow I think the solution here is simpler and does not need gradients to solve. Some of the threads pointed to the possibility that the surface normal vector is given by (2x,2y,2z), but it leads me to no solution. I've tried another solution where the surface normal (not normalized) is given by

P(ø,θ) = (sinøcosθ, sinøsinθ, cosø)

and the vector product of partial derivatives of the above are used but its making no sense to me. Could you please help me out.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! BTW this thread should probably be moved to the math homework forum.

The solution is very simple. Just know that the radius vector joining the point of contact with the plane and the origin will be perpendicular to the plane. This is your "normal' vector. Find this vector in terms of the three unit vectors. Also find the distance between the plane and the origin.
Now, you have the parameters needed to solve this problem.

Which equation do you want? Vector or Cartesian?

JonNash said:
I've tried another solution where the surface normal (not normalized) is given by

P(ø,θ) = (sinøcosθ, sinøsinθ, cosø)

Yes, with the centre of the sphere in the origin, the normal of the tangent plane is parallel to the vector r0 pointing to Po (1/√3;-1/√3;1/√3). All vectors lying in the tangent plane are perpendicular to n. So the equation of the plane is simply (r-r0)n=0. In Cartesian coordinates, (x-x0)nx+(y-y0)ny+(z-z0)nz=0, where nx=xo, ny=yo and nz=zo in this problem.

Attachments

• tangentplane.JPG
    tangentplane.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 378
consciousness said:
Welcome to PF! BTW this thread should probably be moved to the math homework forum.

Thanks, I don't know how to move the thread, I will find out and move it asap.

consciousness said:
The solution is very simple. Just know that the radius vector joining the point of contact with the plane and the origin will be perpendicular to the plane. This is your "normal' vector. Find this vector in terms of the three unit vectors. Also find the distance between the plane and the origin.
Now, you have the parameters needed to solve this problem.

Which equation do you want? Vector or Cartesian?

I found the radius vector as r=(1/√3)i - (1/√3)j + (1/√3)k
and the distance between them is 1 (since it is the radius, I even solved it just to be thorough.) Then I have the perpendicular line and the point through which it passes, so the equation of the plane is given by a(x-x0)+b(y-y0)+c(z-z0)=0 and I need the equation in cartesian. So I solved it and I got x-y+z=√3. But now I have a different problem, I have four options and RHS of each is 1/√3, so did I do something wrong?

ehild said:
Yes, with the centre of the sphere in the origin, the normal of the tangent plane is parallel to the vector r0 pointing to Po (1/√3;-1/√3;1/√3). All vectors lying in the tangent plane are perpendicular to n. So the equation of the plane is simply (r-r0)n=0. In Cartesian coordinates, (x-x0)nx+(y-y0)ny+(z-z0)nz=0, where nx=xo, ny=yo and nz=zo in this problem.

Thanks ehild that equation put me on the right path, but now as I mentioned above the solution is not among the given choices, is it a printing mistake or did I do something wrong here?

JonNash said:
So I solved it and I got x-y+z=√3. But now I have a different problem, I have four options and RHS of each is 1/√3, so did I do something wrong?

Your solution is correct, it must be a misprint in the given solution.

ehild

Thanks ehild. been racking my brains about it.

Also you can't move the thread, that is for the mods to do. :rofl: :smile:

Edit: Just crossed my mind but you get 1/√3 on the RHS if you divide your equation by 3 on both sides.

consciousness said:
Edit: Just crossed my mind but you get 1/√3 on the RHS if you divide your equation by 3 on both sides.

But that would take me farther away from the choices. Just to be clear, here are the choices present.
a)x+y+z=1/√3
b)x-y+z=1/√3
c)x-y-z=1/√3
d)x+y-z=1/√3

If the b) option on the RHS would have been √3 instead of 1/√3, I would be dancing around happy but the answer which I got gets me close to it but matches none of the choices which in turn is inducing a pandemonium in my head.

Yes the options are incorrect.

1. What is a tangent plane at a point?

A tangent plane at a point is a flat surface that touches a three-dimensional object at a single point and is parallel to the object's surface at that point. It represents the most accurate approximation of the object's surface at that specific point.

2. How is a tangent plane at a point calculated?

A tangent plane at a point can be calculated using calculus by finding the derivative of the function representing the three-dimensional object at that point. The derivative represents the slope of the tangent line, which can then be extended to form a tangent plane.

3. What is the purpose of a tangent plane at a point?

The purpose of a tangent plane at a point is to help us understand the behavior of a three-dimensional object at a specific point. It can be used to approximate the slope of the object's surface, which is useful in various applications such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

4. Can a tangent plane at a point exist for all types of three-dimensional objects?

Yes, a tangent plane at a point can exist for all types of three-dimensional objects. However, for certain objects with complex or discontinuous surfaces, the concept of a tangent plane may not be as straightforward, and alternative methods may need to be used.

5. How is a tangent plane at a point different from a normal plane?

A tangent plane at a point is different from a normal plane in that it only touches the object at a single point and is parallel to the object's surface at that point. A normal plane, on the other hand, can intersect the object at multiple points and is perpendicular to the object's surface at those points.