1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential Acceleration

1. Dec 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Perhaps I am confused by the concept.
    A toy car starts from rest at a height 4R above the ground and continue to a loop of radius R (frictionless). At a point C (height R from the ground) inside the loop, what is the tangential acceleration of the toy car?

2. Relevant equations

I don't think a=alpha*r is quite relevant to this...or a=dv/dt...

3. The attempt at a solution
    not quite yet. perhaps the gravity is the only thing?

Please, explain me of the concept of 'tangential acceleration' and its components.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Tangential acceleration is simply the component of linear acceleration that's in the tangential direction. You are right that this is not the same as angular acceleration * radius, [itex]r\dot{ω}[/itex]. There is also the Coriolis term [itex]2\dot{r}ω[/itex].
    It's not quite clear from the question (the position of the loop in relation to the ground is not given): is point C where the loop is vertical?

4. Jan 1, 2013 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook