Tangential velocity in polar coordinates

In summary: The magnitude of the vector is given by ##\vec{e_\varphi} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\omega^2 t^2}}\vec{e_p} + \frac{\omega t}{\sqrt{1+\omega^2 t^2}}\vec{e_\varphi}##.
marksyncm
Hello,

I am in need of some clarification on tangential velocity in polar coordinates. As far as I know, the tangential velocity vector is ##\vec{v} = v\vec{e_t}##, where ##\vec{e_t} = \frac{\vec{v}}{v}##. This gives us the ##\vec{e_r}## and ##\vec{e_\varphi}## coordinates of the tangential velocity vector.

For example, the velocity for the Archimedes spiral is ##\vec{v} = s\omega \vec{e_p} + s\omega^2 t\vec{e_\varphi}##. But the tangential velocity is ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\omega^2 t^2}}\vec{e_p} + \frac{\omega t}{\sqrt{1+\omega^2 t^2}}\vec{e_\varphi}##

What I do not understand is why are the two different? I was under the impression that the velocity (ie. the derivative of the location) is already and by definition tangential to the curve/trajectory. What is the difference between the two in this case?

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
The second equation you gave is not the tangential velocity. It is the unit vector in the tangential direction.

So we would obtain the tangential velocity by multiplying the velocity by the tangential vector? If so, why do need to do that, ie. why isn’t the ‘original’ velocity already tangential?

Thank you.

marksyncm said:
So we would obtain the tangential velocity by multiplying the velocity by the tangential vector? If so, why do need to do that, ie. why isn’t the ‘original’ velocity already tangential?

Thank you.
The tangential velocity is the "magnitude of the tangential velocity" multiplied by the "unit vector in the tangential direction." In the present case, the magnitude of the tangential velocity is ##\omega s##. Sometimes we like to express the tangential velocity this way. For example, in the present case, it looks like the magnitude of the tangential velocity is constant, and only its direction is changing. That might be of interest to know.

Likes marksyncm
The velocity along a given curve depends on the relationship between the path distance (s in your notation?) and time, which is completely independent of the curve. It seems to me your two formulations give the same answer if the relationship is s2ω2(1+ω2t2)=1.

Likes marksyncm
Chestermiller said:
The tangential velocity is the "magnitude of the tangential velocity" multiplied by the "unit vector in the tangential direction."

Thank you. Doesn't the ##\vec{e_\varphi}## vector point in the tangential direction as well?

EDIT:

In the present case, the magnitude of the tangential velocity is ωs

I am not sure I understand where we obtain this from. The velocity for motion along the Archimedes spiral is (as far as I know) given by ##s \omega \vec{e_p} + s \omega^2 t \vec{e_\varphi}##. The magnitude of this vector seems to be ##\omega s \sqrt{1+\omega^2 t^2}##, as opposed to ωs. Do I have my terminology wrong? I know you said "magnitude of the tangential velocity", so if what I gave is not the magnitude of the tangential velocity, then I'm still confused - isn't velocity tangential by definition?

Last edited:
marksyncm said:
The velocity for motion along the Archimedes spiral is (as far as I know) given by ##s \omega \vec{e_p} + s \omega^2 t \vec{e_\varphi}##. The magnitude of this vector seems to be ##\omega s \sqrt{1+\omega^2 t^2}##, as opposed to ωs.
Nice of you to like my post #5 but I get the impression you have not understood it.
For you to have written down an expression for the tangential velocity along a given curve you must have made an assumption about the function s=s(t). If the assumption matches the relationship I quoted then there is no mystery: the two expressions are really the same.
What assumption did you make?

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand the question. I think my understanding of the theory behind polar coordinates is lacking at the moment, so I will revisit that first before attempting to answer the question above. Thank you!

marksyncm said:
Thank you. Doesn't the ##\vec{e_\varphi}## vector point in the tangential direction as well?

No. For that to be the case, the particle would have to be traveling in a circle about the origin.
EDIT:
I am not sure I understand where we obtain this from. The velocity for motion along the Archimedes spiral is (as far as I know) given by ##s \omega \vec{e_p} + s \omega^2 t \vec{e_\varphi}##. The magnitude of this vector seems to be ##\omega s \sqrt{1+\omega^2 t^2}##, as opposed to ωs. Do I have my terminology wrong? I know you said "magnitude of the tangential velocity", so if what I gave is not the magnitude of the tangential velocity, then I'm still confused - isn't velocity tangential by definition?
Oops. My mistake. You are correct that this is the magnitude of the velocity. However, what I said about the unit vector in the tangential direction is correct.

What is tangential velocity in polar coordinates?

Tangential velocity in polar coordinates is the component of velocity that is perpendicular to the radial direction in a polar coordinate system. It represents the speed and direction of an object as it moves along a circular path.

How is tangential velocity calculated in polar coordinates?

Tangential velocity in polar coordinates can be calculated using the formula v = rω, where v is the tangential velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the difference between tangential velocity and radial velocity in polar coordinates?

Tangential velocity and radial velocity in polar coordinates are two components of the total velocity of an object moving in a circular path. Tangential velocity is perpendicular to the radial direction and represents the speed and direction of the object's motion, while radial velocity is parallel to the radial direction and represents how quickly the object is moving towards or away from the center of the circle.

How does tangential velocity change as the object moves along a circular path in polar coordinates?

Tangential velocity remains constant in magnitude but changes in direction as the object moves along a circular path in polar coordinates. This is because the object is constantly changing its direction of motion, but its speed remains the same.

What are some real-life applications of tangential velocity in polar coordinates?

Tangential velocity in polar coordinates is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is essential in understanding the motion of objects in circular orbits, such as planets around the sun or satellites around the Earth. It is also used in designing and analyzing rotational motion in machinery and vehicles, such as wheels and gears. Additionally, it is used in sports, such as calculating the speed and direction of a ball in a game like golf or baseball.