Taylor 4.34 - Energy of a Pendulum

In summary, the conversation is about changing the name of a forum thread and discussing a physics problem involving the energy of a pendulum. The user also requests a new name for the thread and it is suggested to use "Taylor 4.34 - Energy of a Pendulum."
Radarithm
Gold Member
Edit: Can someone change the name of the thread somehow? I accidentally posted it without changing the name.

(Moderator note -- title updated.)

Homework Statement

The question is quite long so here is a picture: http://gyazo.com/dc917d1885b6ffebb0a39e2409af4d61

Homework Equations

$$E=T+V$$
$$T=\frac{m\dot{x}^2}{2}$$
$$U_g=mgh$$
$$\Gamma=I\alpha$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If we set the zero of potential energy at origin (where the mass is at when the system is in equilibrium), then the change in gravitational potential is:
$$U(\phi)=mg(l-l\cos{\phi})=mgl(1-\cos{\phi})$$

Now that we're done with part (a), I move on to part (b), which is where I think I messed up.
The total mechanical energy of the system can be defined to be:
$$E(\phi, \dot{\phi})=T(\phi,\dot{\phi})+U(\phi)$$
Where the Kinetic energy (T) is:
$$T(\phi,\dot{\phi})=\frac{m\dot{\phi}l\sin{\phi}}{2}$$
and the potential, U, is:
$$U(\phi)=mgl(1-\cos{\phi})$$
Here is where I think I messed up mathematically; taking the time derivative of the mechanical energy, I get this:
$$\dot{E}=ml\left(\frac{\dot{\phi}\ddot{\phi}\cos{\phi}}{2}+g(\dot{\phi}\, \cos{\phi}+1)\right)$$

Did I go wrong somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Radarithm said:
Edit: Can someone change the name of the thread somehow? I accidentally posted it without changing the name.
When we find a Mentor or such with that power --
What name do you want on this thread ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=69208&stc=1&d=1398779968.png

Attachments

• dc917d1885b6ffebb0a39e2409af4d61.png
    dc917d1885b6ffebb0a39e2409af4d61.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
SammyS said:
When we find a Mentor or such with that power --
What name do you want on this thread ?

Or something like that. Taylor doesn't name problems like K&K; I'm not very creative.

Radarithm said:

Or something like that. Taylor doesn't name problems like K&K; I'm not very creative.
You can use the "Report" button to make such a request.

I'll do it for this thread.

Likes 1 person

Your approach and equations seem correct. However, it is possible that there may be a mistake in your calculations or a typo in your equations. I would recommend double checking your work and equations to make sure everything is correct. If you are still unsure, you can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or using a different set of equations to see if you get the same result.

1. What is Taylor 4.34 - Energy of a Pendulum?

Taylor 4.34 refers to a specific equation in the field of mechanics, named after the physicist John R. Taylor. It is used to calculate the energy of a pendulum, which is a swinging object suspended by a string or rod.

2. How is the energy of a pendulum calculated using Taylor 4.34?

The equation takes into account the mass of the pendulum, the length of the string, and the angle at which the pendulum swings. It can be written as E=mgL(1-cosθ), where E is the energy, m is the mass, g is the gravitational acceleration, L is the length of the string, and θ is the angle.

3. What is the significance of calculating the energy of a pendulum?

The energy of a pendulum is important in understanding its motion and behavior. It helps determine the maximum height and speed of the pendulum as it swings, and can also be used to calculate the period of the pendulum's oscillations.

4. Can Taylor 4.34 be used for all types of pendulums?

Yes, the equation can be used for all types of pendulums, as long as the object follows a simple harmonic motion (meaning it swings back and forth in a regular pattern). This includes both simple and compound pendulums.

5. Are there any limitations to using Taylor 4.34 for calculating the energy of a pendulum?

While the equation is accurate for most practical purposes, it does not take into account factors such as air resistance or friction, which may affect the motion of a pendulum in real-life situations. Additionally, it assumes the pendulum is swinging in a vacuum, which is not always the case.