Taylor Series Expansion - Don't understand how to use

In summary, the conversation discusses approximating a given function to a parabola by using the second order term and Taylor series. It is suggested to expand the exponential term in the function and keep only terms that will contribute to the x^2 term. After some algebra, the final result is obtained as V0/2=- (x/a)^2. However, it is also mentioned that keeping only one term may not give an accurate approximation and it is suggested to keep the first three terms for better results.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

This is actually not a problem, it's something in my notes. The function I am supposed to be approximating is

V(x) = V0(1 - ex/a)2 - V0

V0 and a are constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It says that the function given is not a parabola. But it can be approximated to a parabola by approximating to the 2nd order term.

Then it says, 2nd order V = V0[(x/a)2 - 1].

Maybe I copied it wrong, but I thought I needed to approximate about a certain value. If you don't know that value, how can you linearize the function?

Also, my understanding is that Taylor expansion uses the formula given here http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TaylorSeries.html

But when I differentiate V(x) I get something completely different.

Can someone either help me get to the result in my notes, or if that result is wrong, help me get the right answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like they may have taken V0 = 1 and a = 1, and approximated around 0, if that helps.

Even when I do that though, I get zeros as my coefficients.

They're expanding about x=0. Instead of grinding out the series for V(x) using the definition of the Taylor series, try expanding the exponential in a series about x=0, keeping only terms that will in the end contribute to the x2 term, and then doing some algebra.

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by try expanding the exponential in a series about x=0?

You mean just take e^(x/a) and expand that, still using a Taylor series? If I do that I get
the second derivative is (e^(x/a))/a^3

So the term that will contribute to the x^2 term is (1/2a^3)x^2.

Then would I replace the e^(x/a) term in my original equation? If I do I still don't get the same thing. I still don't quite get it...

What is the Taylor series for ex about the point x=0? Plug in x/a for x. That's the series for ex/a. Then plug that into your potential function.

Ok.

The taylor series for ex about x = 0 is:
1 + x + (1/2)x2 + (1/6)x3 + ...
Keeping only the x2 term, we have (1/2)x2.

Now, subbing in x/a for x, we get (1/2)(x/a)2.
How come what I did first didn't work? Shouldn't it work out to be the same thing...?

So now plugging my answer into my potential function, I get:
V(x) = V0(1 - (1/2a2)x2) - V0

Still doesn't match =(

Actually with a bit more algebra I get V0 /2 = [-(x/a)2]

jumbogala said:
Ok.

The taylor series for ex about x = 0 is:
1 + x + (1/2)x2 + (1/6)x3 + ...
Keeping only the x2 term, we have (1/2)x2.
The idea is that when x<<1, only the first few terms of the series contribute significantly to the sum, so you can approximate the sum well enough by neglecting higher-order terms. That doesn't mean you can just toss everything except one term.

Try keeping just the first three terms of the series and see how it works out.
Now, subbing in x/a for x, we get (1/2)(x/a)2.
How come what I did first didn't work? Shouldn't it work out to be the same thing...?

So now plugging my answer into my potential function, I get:
V(x) = V0(1 - (1/2a2)x2) - V0

Still doesn't match =(

Actually with a bit more algebra I get V0 /2 = [-(x/a)2]

What is a Taylor Series Expansion?

A Taylor Series Expansion is a mathematical concept used to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is most commonly used to approximate a function near a specified point.

How do I use a Taylor Series Expansion?

To use a Taylor Series Expansion, you must first determine the center point and the order of the expansion. Then, you can plug in the values of the center point and the function into the formula for a Taylor Series Expansion to calculate the coefficients. Finally, you can use the resulting series to approximate the function at other points.

Why is a Taylor Series Expansion useful?

A Taylor Series Expansion is useful because it allows us to approximate complicated functions with simpler polynomial expressions. This can make complex problems easier to solve and can also provide insights into the behavior of the function.

What is the difference between a Taylor Series Expansion and a Maclaurin Series?

A Maclaurin Series is a special case of a Taylor Series Expansion, where the center point is set to zero. This means that the resulting series only contains even powers of the variable, making it easier to use in some cases.

What are some common applications of Taylor Series Expansions?

Taylor Series Expansions are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to approximate functions in order to solve differential equations, evaluate integrals, and analyze the behavior of systems.