How Can Taylor Series Be Used to Compute Integrals with High Precision?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Taylor series method to compute the integral from 1 to 2 of sin(x^2) / x^2 with a precision of 10^-3. The method involves expanding sin(x^2) as a Taylor series and integrating each term separately. The conversation also touches on using the right hand side of the equation to solve the integral, and the importance of calculating enough terms to achieve the desired precision.
vucollegeguy

Homework Statement

Use taylor series method to compute the integral from 1 to 2 of [sin(x2)] / (x2) with 10 -3 precision

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start. Someone please help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a Taylor series is? You need to expand sin(x^2) as a Taylor series and then, given that the series satisfies some very broad conditions, you can integrate each term separately.

Yes.

sin(x2) after integration = (x3/3) -(x7)/(7*3!) + (x11)/(11*5!)-...
right?

can you help me with the rest of it?

[tex] \int_1^2 \frac{\sin(x^2)}{x^2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \int_1^2 \frac{(-1)^n (x^2)^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)! x^2} dx [/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you so much! So that stuff to that right of the equal sign, how do I use that solve the integral from 1 to 2 - do I just plug in the upper and lower limits and subtract the lower from the upper value? And the precision of 10 -3 - how do I get that?

I really appreciate your help.

The right hand side is easy to integrate now; all you have is a constant times x^(another constant).

Ok, integrating the right side gives:

(-1) n+1 * (x 2) 2n) / (2n!*x2)

right, or wrong?

Wrong.

[tex] \int_1^2 \frac{\sin(x^2)}{x^2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \int_1^2 \frac{(-1)^n (x^2)^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)! x^2} dx = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!}\int_1^2 dx x^{4n} [/tex]

I was totally wrong.
Ok, so now is where I plug into the upper and lower limits and subtract those values?

Yes. To get 10^-3 precision, you should keep on calculating terms until they go well below 10^-3.

Got it.
Thank you all for your help!

1. What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function using an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a function at a specific point by using the values of the function and its derivatives at that point.

2. What is the purpose of Taylor Series Integration?

The purpose of Taylor Series Integration is to numerically evaluate the definite integral of a function. It is a more accurate method compared to other numerical integration techniques such as the Trapezoidal Rule or Simpson's Rule.

3. How is Taylor Series Integration calculated?

Taylor Series Integration involves expanding the integrand into a Taylor Series and then integrating each term in the series. The resulting series can then be summed to obtain an approximation of the definite integral.

4. What are the advantages of using Taylor Series Integration?

One advantage of Taylor Series Integration is that it allows for a more accurate approximation of the definite integral compared to other numerical integration methods. It also has the ability to handle integrands with discontinuities or sharp changes in the function.

5. What are the limitations of Taylor Series Integration?

One limitation of Taylor Series Integration is that it can be computationally expensive, especially when a large number of terms in the series need to be calculated. Additionally, it may not converge for certain functions with infinite derivatives or for functions with singularities.