Taylor series with 3 variables

In summary, the conversation and solution revolve around finding an approximated value for a function using a Taylor series with three variables. The attempt at a solution involves expanding the series and calculating the differential equations, but the resulting value is not equal to the given solution. It is suggested that the solution may not be easily approximated by first order.
ozharu
Hi am trying to solve this Taylor series with 3 variables but my result is not equal to the solution- So i think i might be wrong expanding the taylor series, or the solution is not correct

Homework Statement

Find an a approximated value for the function f(x,y,z) = 2x + ( 1 + y) * sin z at the point
x= 0.1 y = 0.2 z = 0.3 [asnwer = 0.5546]

Use only linear terms ( dx dy dz has only 1 power)

Homework Equations

df = dx*[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f'(x)}[/tex] + dy*[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f'(y)}[/tex] + dz *[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f'(z)}[/tex] + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

So i started evaluating the function at the point (0,0,0) which gives me the value 0. Then i expand the taylor series like this

df = dx *[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f'(x)}[/tex] + dy *[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f'(y)}[/tex] + dz *[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f'(z)}[/tex] + dxdy *[tex]\frac{f''(f)}{f'(x)f'(y) }[/tex] + dxdz *[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f''(x)f'(z)}[/tex] + dydz *[tex]\frac{f''(f)}{f'(y)f'(z)}[/tex] + dxdydz [tex]\frac{f'''(f)}{f'(x)f'(y)f'(z)}[/tex]

Then i calculate the differential equations
[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f'(x)}[/tex] = 2
[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f'(y)}[/tex] = sin z
[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f'(z)}[/tex] = (1 + y) cos z
[tex]\frac{f''(f)}{f'(x)f'(y) }[/tex] = 0
[tex]\frac{f'(f)}{f''(x)f'(z)}[/tex] = 0
[tex]\frac{f''(f)}{f'(y)f'(z)}[/tex] = cos z
[tex]\frac{f'''(f)}{f'(x)f'(y)f'(z)}[/tex] = 0

So my final formula is

df = 2 dx + dz * cos(0) + dydz * cos (0)

An evaluating that formula in (0.1,0.2,0.3)

df(0.1,0.2,0.3) = 2 *0.1 + 0.3 + 0.06 = 0.56

But the solution given by the exercise is 0.5546

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sin (.3) is not small enough to be approximated by first order.

1. What is a Taylor series with 3 variables?

A Taylor series with 3 variables is a mathematical series that approximates a function using a polynomial with multiple variables. It is based on the Taylor polynomial, which is used to estimate a function at a specific point, but with the addition of multiple variables, it can provide a more accurate representation of the function.

2. How is a Taylor series with 3 variables calculated?

A Taylor series with 3 variables is calculated using the same method as a regular Taylor series. The first step is to find the derivatives of the function at a specific point. Then, these derivatives are evaluated at the point and multiplied by the corresponding powers of the variables. Finally, all of these terms are added together to create the Taylor series.

3. What is the importance of a Taylor series with 3 variables in mathematics?

A Taylor series with 3 variables is important in mathematics because it allows for the approximation of complex functions using a simpler polynomial. This can be useful in various applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics, where complex functions need to be approximated for practical use.

4. Can a Taylor series with 3 variables be used to find the exact value of a function?

No, a Taylor series with 3 variables is an approximation of a function and cannot provide the exact value. However, as more terms are added to the series, the approximation becomes more accurate, and in some cases, it can be used to find a close estimate of the exact value.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Taylor series with 3 variables?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Taylor series with 3 variables. One limitation is that it can only approximate functions that are infinitely differentiable at the point of expansion. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation can decrease as the distance from the point of expansion increases, making it less useful for functions with large ranges.