Teaching at community college, opinions?

In summary, Moon is considering going into teaching after completing her Ph.D. in physics. She is interested in hearing from others who have taught at a community college, as she has not done so herself. She also wants to avoid teaching courses that are not appropriate for more advanced undergraduates.
smallphi
I am planning on finishing my Ph.D. in physics in 2009 and am thinking of going directly to teaching which means probably I will end up teaching at a 'community college'. I am interested in people that have done this or are doing it, the good and the bad sides of the job. Please send me PM if you wan't to share.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never taught at a community college, but from some discussion with a few who have, I get the impression that the experience varies greatly with the courses you're teaching. If you're teaching one of the more advanced (for community college) classes, you may get more serious students, plus you might get students in summer courses from other universities who just want to get a leg up on their coursework. On the other hand, some of the more introductory courses get students with a similar mentality as high school students, and can be very frustrating.

I'm curious, if you're willing to share, why are you considering going directly into teaching instead of doing a post-doc first?

Teaching at a CC only requires a M.S as well.
Having taken a few courses at CC while in high school Moon is right.
You will have the people in HS 2.0 that don't care and you have the people that attend CC for financial reasons work their *** off to transfer.

Thanks for the input. It's consistent with what I gathered so far. I do research currenly and I decided that either I am Einstein and sacrifice my personal life doing hard core research or I will do something else compatible with physics PhD like teaching at college or finances or patents and live happily ever after. The middle option, being a mediocre researcher, which most of my professors are, competing for grants and measuring the value of my research with how many crappy papers I've published this year, is not my choice - such system would make me lose the joy or research.

I've heard getting a postdoc gets you to teach to better colleges? I somehow want to avoid that cause I feel quite ready to teach more advanced courses for undergrads. Can somebody tell me how exactly I figure out which college is more of introductory type and which one is for more serious students? What are the signs? I really wouldn't be happy teaching non-motivated students or subjects that are too watered down.

Related to Teaching at community college, opinions?

1. What is the primary difference between teaching at a community college and a four-year university?

The primary difference is the focus on teaching versus research. Community colleges prioritize teaching, whereas universities often prioritize research. This means that community college professors typically have a heavier teaching load and may have less time for research projects.

2. What qualifications are necessary for teaching at a community college?

The specific qualifications may vary depending on the institution, but generally, a master's degree in the subject area is required. Some community colleges may also prefer candidates with prior teaching experience.

3. How does the salary for community college professors compare to those at universities?

The salary for community college professors is typically lower than those at universities. However, community college professors often have a better work-life balance and may have more opportunities for professional development and advancement.

4. What is the student population like at a community college?

Community colleges have a diverse student population, with students ranging from recent high school graduates to working professionals and adults returning to school. These students may have a variety of educational backgrounds and goals, which can make teaching at a community college both challenging and rewarding.

5. How do you handle the potential stigma attached to teaching at a community college?

It is important to recognize the value of teaching at a community college and the impact it can have on students' lives. Community colleges play a critical role in providing accessible and affordable education to a diverse population. As a community college professor, it is important to focus on the positive impact you can make on your students rather than any perceived stigma.