1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature and Heat

1. May 9, 2006 #1
    A .1 kg piece of aluminum at 90 degrees C is submerged in 1 KG of water at 10 degrees C. What is the temperature when they reach equalibrium?

Now I know, aluminum has a c of 920 J/(kg * degree C) and water has a c of 4186 J/(kg * degree C).

I'm not sure how to approach this.

Best I can think of is setting m*c*dT for the water equal to m*c*dT for the aluminum. But I have two unknown variables there. (The dT's) So that can't be right. Help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

What is the definition for your delta T? It is [tex]\Delta T = T_{end} - T_{start}[/tex]

Does that point you in the right direction? Also, think about the physical situation when the two have reached equillibrium...

4. May 9, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This means you will need to work out two equations to determine the values of these two different delta T's.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?