Temperature controller Problems

In summary, the temperature controller is not accepting commands from MPMS Multivu, however, the Quantum Design GPIB interface still works fine sending instructions to the temperature controller. However, when MPMS Multivu is started, the Quantum Design interface loses track of all devices and several reset to their default settings. The temperature controller is the only one that returns an error from being addressed in multivu. Trying to read a command from the temperature controller will display the current temperature.
JunkieJim
I've run into some issues running the probably obsolete Lakeshore DRC-91CA temperature controller in the lab and I'm hoping someone here has some Ideas on what's causing these problems. The temperature controller is currently hooked up to an old computer through an IEEE/GPIB cable and is controlled through this computer using a program I've written in pascal which is sequenced through MPMS-Multivu.

The device seems to randomly decide when its going to accept commands and when it's not going to. I know from experience that it has never worked when you turn the temperature controller on after opening MPMS multivu and only sporadically when its turned on beforehand. I'm fairly sure that it's only an issue with the temperature controller and not with the other devices used. When you send a command the device returns an error "I/O Canceled". I know that if I send an incorrect command or a command with an invalid carriage return then the device will return an error "Invalid Command" and if the command is being sent to a device that doesn't exist I'll get "No Listener".

I've read through the manual for the temperature but it was no help, if anyone has any experience with anything like this and would like to let me know what's going wrong and what I have to do to fix it, I'd really appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've done a lot more troubleshooting and I'm pretty sure its actually a problem with MPMS multivu. the Quantum Design GPIB interface works fine sending instructions to the temperature controller, but as soon as MPMS Multivu is started, the Quantum design interface looses track of all devices, and several reset to their default settings. The temperature controller is the only one that returns an error from being addressed in multivu though, and only when you try to send it a command. Trying to read a command from the temperature controller will display the current temperature. Maybe it refuses to go into a listening state?

Any help as to where to go and what to do would be excellent.

1. What is a temperature controller and how does it work?

A temperature controller is a device used to regulate the temperature of a system or environment. It works by continuously monitoring the temperature and adjusting the output of a heating or cooling system to reach and maintain a desired setpoint temperature.

2. What are the common problems with temperature controllers?

Some common problems with temperature controllers include incorrect temperature readings, malfunctioning sensors, power supply issues, and programming errors. These issues can lead to inaccurate temperature control and potentially damage to the system.

3. How can I troubleshoot temperature controller problems?

The first step in troubleshooting temperature controller problems is to check the power supply and make sure all connections are secure. Next, check the programming and setpoint temperature to ensure they are correct. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to check and replace any faulty sensors or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

4. Can temperature controller problems be prevented?

Yes, temperature controller problems can be prevented by regularly calibrating and maintaining the system. It is also important to follow proper installation and usage guidelines, and to address any issues or malfunctions as soon as they arise.

5. Are there any safety concerns with temperature controllers?

Temperature controllers can potentially cause safety concerns if they malfunction and lead to extreme temperatures. It is important to regularly check and maintain the system to prevent any potential hazards. It is also important to use temperature controllers in accordance with safety regulations and guidelines.