Temperature for "melting" vibrational degrees of freedom

In summary, the vibrational degrees of freedom in linear and non-linear N-atomic molecules require a high temperature to appear. For diatomic molecules, the vibrational heat capacity reaches the classical limit at temperatures larger than (ħω/kB). Similar analysis can be done for poly-atomic molecules.
RingNebula57
Hello everyone!
I recently read some information about the equipartition theorem and degrees of freedom in thermodinamics. I read that for the linear N-atomic and non-linear N-atomic molecules in order to allow the vibrational degrees of freedom to appear we need a really high temperature.
I was curious , because I didn't find the value, at about what temperature do those degrees of freedom appear , what is the order of magnitude of the temperature?

Thank you !

Science news on Phys.org
What are N-atomic molecules?

CrazyNinja said:
What are N-atomic molecules?
Molecules with N atoms

RingNebula57 said:
Hello everyone!
I recently read some information about the equipartition theorem and degrees of freedom in thermodinamics. I read that for the linear N-atomic and non-linear N-atomic molecules in order to allow the vibrational degrees of freedom to appear we need a really high temperature.
I was curious , because I didn't find the value, at about what temperature do those degrees of freedom appear , what is the order of magnitude of the temperature?

Thank you !

For a diatomic molecule the vibrational heat capacity reaches the classical limit for tempratures larger than (ħω/kB) . See for example the first 3 pages of these lecture notes:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...fall-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_333F13_Lec20.pdf

It is possible to make similar analysis for poly-atomic molecules.

Likes RingNebula57

What is temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. It is typically measured in degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K).

What is melting?

Melting is the process of a solid substance changing into a liquid state due to an increase in temperature.

What are vibrational degrees of freedom?

Vibrational degrees of freedom refer to the ways in which molecules can move and vibrate within a substance. These include stretching, bending, and rotational movements.

How does temperature affect the melting of substances?

As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance also increases. This causes the molecules to vibrate more vigorously, eventually overcoming the intermolecular forces that hold them in a solid state.

Why does the melting point of a substance vary?

The melting point of a substance can vary based on several factors, such as the strength of intermolecular forces, the size and shape of the molecules, and external pressure. These factors can affect the amount of energy needed to break the bonds and cause the substance to melt.