Temperature for "melting" vibrational degrees of freedom

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
RingNebula57
Messages
56
Reaction score
2
Hello everyone!
I recently read some information about the equipartition theorem and degrees of freedom in thermodinamics. I read that for the linear N-atomic and non-linear N-atomic molecules in order to allow the vibrational degrees of freedom to appear we need a really high temperature.
I was curious , because I didn't find the value, at about what temperature do those degrees of freedom appear , what is the order of magnitude of the temperature?

Thank you !
 
Physics news on Phys.org
CrazyNinja said:
What are N-atomic molecules?
Molecules with N atoms
 
RingNebula57 said:
Hello everyone!
I recently read some information about the equipartition theorem and degrees of freedom in thermodinamics. I read that for the linear N-atomic and non-linear N-atomic molecules in order to allow the vibrational degrees of freedom to appear we need a really high temperature.
I was curious , because I didn't find the value, at about what temperature do those degrees of freedom appear , what is the order of magnitude of the temperature?

Thank you !

For a diatomic molecule the vibrational heat capacity reaches the classical limit for tempratures larger than (ħω/kB) . See for example the first 3 pages of these lecture notes:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...fall-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_333F13_Lec20.pdf

It is possible to make similar analysis for poly-atomic molecules.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RingNebula57