1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature for "melting" vibrational degrees of freedom

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone!
    I recently read some information about the equipartition theorem and degrees of freedom in thermodinamics. I read that for the linear N-atomic and non-linear N-atomic molecules in order to allow the vibrational degrees of freedom to appear we need a really high temperature.
    I was curious , because I didn't find the value, at about what temperature do those degrees of freedom appear , what is the order of magnitude of the temperature?

Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2
    What are N-atomic molecules?

4. Feb 7, 2016 #3
    Molecules with N atoms

5. Feb 7, 2016 #4
    For a diatomic molecule the vibrational heat capacity reaches the classical limit for tempratures larger than (ħω/kB) . See for example the first 3 pages of these lecture notes:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...fall-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_333F13_Lec20.pdf

It is possible to make similar analysis for poly-atomic molecules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook