Temperature of a star via its flux

In summary, the conversation is about finding the temperature of a star if the flux at two different wavelengths (450 nm and 650 nm) is given. The equation used to determine monochromatic flux is 2πhv3/c2, and the attempt at a solution involves plugging in the wavelengths and trying to guess a temperature that will result in a combined monochromatic flux of 1.3. The solution also involves using values from 5-50000 kelvin for temperature and converting the wavelengths to frequency. However, the attempt at a solution is not getting closer to 1.3 and the person is unsure of what they are missing.
cwolfx2

Homework Statement

What is the temperature of a star if the flux at 450 nm is measured to be 1.3 times the flux at 650 nm

Homework Equations

To determine monochromatic flux I use:

2πhv3/c2
ex-1

x= hv/kT

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically I plug in the 450 or 640 nm wave lengths for v and using the other constants I try to guess a temperature that when I combine the individual monochromatic fluxes, they will equal 1.3

However I am using values from 5-50000 kelvin for my temperature, and I don't seem to be getting closer to 1.3, what am i missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
So I've tried this: v3(ehv'/kt)-1= 1.3
(ehv/kt-1) v'3

where as the ' notes the other wavelength..Also how do i turn the nm into frequency?

1. What is the temperature of a star?

The temperature of a star refers to the degree of heat or thermal energy present at its surface. It is typically measured in Kelvin (K) or degrees Celsius (°C).

2. How is the temperature of a star determined?

The temperature of a star is determined by analyzing its electromagnetic radiation, specifically its flux or the amount of energy it emits per unit area per unit time. This can be done through spectroscopy, which breaks down the star's light into its component wavelengths and allows scientists to determine the temperature based on the intensity of certain spectral lines.

3. Why is the temperature of a star important?

The temperature of a star is important because it provides crucial information about the star's properties, such as its size, luminosity, and evolutionary stage. It also allows scientists to classify stars into different spectral types and understand their internal structures and processes.

4. How does the temperature of a star affect its color?

The temperature of a star directly affects its color. Hotter stars have higher temperatures and appear bluer, while cooler stars have lower temperatures and appear redder. This is because the temperature determines the peak wavelength of light emitted by the star, with hotter stars emitting shorter, bluer wavelengths and cooler stars emitting longer, redder wavelengths.

5. Can the temperature of a star change?

Yes, the temperature of a star can change over time. As a star ages, it goes through different stages of its life cycle, which can affect its temperature. For example, a star may become hotter as it fuses heavier elements in its core, or cooler as it runs out of hydrogen fuel and expands into a red giant. Additionally, external factors such as interactions with other stars or the presence of a companion star can also impact a star's temperature.