Temperature of a star via its flux

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
cwolfx2
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What is the temperature of a star if the flux at 450 nm is measured to be 1.3 times the flux at 650 nm

Homework Equations



To determine monochromatic flux I use:

2πhv3/c2
ex-1

x= hv/kT

The Attempt at a Solution



So basically I plug in the 450 or 640 nm wave lengths for v and using the other constants I try to guess a temperature that when I combine the individual monochromatic fluxes, they will equal 1.3

However I am using values from 5-50000 kelvin for my temperature, and I don't seem to be getting closer to 1.3, what am i missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So I've tried this: v3(ehv'/kt)-1= 1.3
(ehv/kt-1) v'3

where as the ' notes the other wavelength..Also how do i turn the nm into frequency?