Temperature of beta decay radioisotope (Sr-90)

In summary, nuclear batteries offer a variety of potential advantages for spacecraft, including increased power, longer operating life, and reduced weight. Nuclear batteries also have some significant drawbacks, including the possibility of catastrophic failure.
Dimitris Catzis
Hi,
I want to develop a Monte Carlo simulation to determine the temperature of a beta radioisotope (Sr-90) of a given mass for my master thesis in Computational Physics. I am rookie to simulations. How much time will take to develop such a code.

Thnaks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
What do mean by temperature? I doubt if it has anything to do with its decay.

Hi,
thanks for your response.

A given mass of Sr-90 will has a raised temperature due to the collisions of the electrons of the beta decay with the medium (Sr-90)

Dimitris Catzis said:
How much time will take to develop such a code.

A very long time, since there is no general answer. It's specific to the configuration you have.

Also, it depends on time (as well as configuration and environment, as @Vanadium 50 noted). If you start with a chunk of isotope at some temperature, it will increase to some peak, then slowly decrease, as more and more final decay result accumulates.

Likes Dimitris Catzis
PAllen said:
Also, it depends on time (as well as cinfiguration and environment, as @Vanadium 50 noted). If you start with a chunk of isotope at some temperature, it will increase to some peak, then slowly decrease, as more and more final decay result accumulates.

That's the point of my research, to determine the thermal power degradation with time. The environment is space. I want to predict the capability of Sr-90 for RTG applications

This looks like it's going to be one of those threads where the OP only sloooowwwwly tells us what the question is.

Vanadium 50 said:
This looks like it's going to be one of those threads where the OP only sloooowwwwly tells us what the question is.

Sorry about that! As i said i am rookie!

Well, you can fix it.

What is the decay chain?
What do you know about the system? What is its purpose? How large is the sample? What do you know about its environment, especially in terms of thermal considerations?

Sr-90--->(~30 Years beta)--->Y-90---->(~2.8 Days beta)--->Zr-90(stable). the main component is a sturdy container of a radioactive material (the fuel).Thermocouples are placed in the walls of the container, with the outer end of each thermocouple connected to a heat sink . Radioactive decay of the fuel produces heat. It is the temperature difference between the fuel and the heat sink that allows the thermocouples to generate electricity. The mass of the radioactive material is a few kg. The environment is space.
As first task i want to calculate the energy deposition into a mass. Then i would figure out how i can determine the temperature,

If the container is shielded well then all the energy of the electrons will be absorbed and heat the material. After a few weeks (=probably before launch already) there will be one Y decay per Sr decay so you can add simply the energies.

Likes Dimitris Catzis
mfb said:
If the container is shielded well then all the energy of the electrons will be absorbed and heat the material. After a few weeks (=probably before launch already) there will be one Y decay per Sr decay so you can add simply the energies.

Hi, thanks for your reply

Yes, i thought that! My problem now is to determine with a Monte Carlo the energy of each decay for the electrons as all the neutrinos escape.and the spectra is not linear.

You can calculate it, but I'm sure there are literature values about the average energy the electrons.

mfb said:
You can calculate it, but I'm sure there are literature values about the average energy the electrons.

I read somewhere that taking the average energy of the electrons to calculate the energy deposition is quite different results.

The slow drip, drip, drip as the question slowly pours out...

Dimitris Catzis said:
I read somewhere

Where?

Vanadium 50 said:
The slow drip, drip, drip as the question slowly pours out...
Where?

Nuclear Batteries and Radioisotopes (Authors: Prelas, M., Boraas, M., De La Torre Aguilar, F., Seelig, J.-D., Tchakoua Tchouaso, M., Wisniewski, D.)
page 97

1. What is the temperature of a beta decay radioisotope (Sr-90)?

The temperature of a beta decay radioisotope (Sr-90) is not a fixed value, as it can vary depending on several factors such as the amount of Sr-90 present, its decay rate, and the surrounding environment. However, the decay of Sr-90 does produce heat, so it can contribute to the overall temperature of its surroundings.

2. How does the temperature of a beta decay radioisotope (Sr-90) affect its decay rate?

The temperature of a beta decay radioisotope (Sr-90) does not directly affect its decay rate. The decay rate is determined by the half-life of the isotope, which is a constant value. However, an increase in temperature can speed up the decay process by providing more energy to the atoms, causing them to decay faster.

3. Can the temperature of a beta decay radioisotope (Sr-90) be controlled?

Yes, the temperature of a beta decay radioisotope (Sr-90) can be controlled to some extent. This can be achieved by controlling the amount of Sr-90 present and the surrounding environment. For example, the decay rate can be slowed down by storing the isotope in a cool environment or by using shielding materials to block out heat.

4. Is the temperature of a beta decay radioisotope (Sr-90) dangerous?

The temperature of a beta decay radioisotope (Sr-90) itself is not dangerous, as it is typically very low. However, the decay process of Sr-90 does produce radiation, which can be harmful if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to handle and store Sr-90 safely to avoid exposure to radiation.

5. Can the temperature of a beta decay radioisotope (Sr-90) be used for any practical purposes?

Yes, the heat produced by the decay of Sr-90 can be harnessed for practical purposes. This is known as thermoelectric power generation, where the heat is converted into electricity. This technology is currently being used in some nuclear power plants to generate electricity from the heat produced by radioactive decay.