Temperature of Pluto's Atmosphere

In summary, in 1988, telescopes observed Pluto passing in front of a distant star and measured a decrease in light as it passed through Pluto's atmosphere. This indicated an atmospheric density of about one-third that of the surface. Given that Pluto's mass is 1.5x10^22 kg and its radius is 1200 km, with nitrogen (N2) being the dominant gas in the atmosphere, an estimate of the temperature can be made using the average energy of a diatomic molecule and the requirement for molecular speed to be less than escape velocity in order for the atmosphere to stay attached. Some approximations and/or simplifying assumptions may have been made in this estimation.
viviolet

Homework Statement

In 1988 telescopes viewed Pluto as it crossed in front of a distant star. As the star emerged from behind the planet, light from the star was slightly dimmed as it went through Pluto’s atmosphere. The observations indicated that the atmospheric density at a height of 50 km above the surface of Pluto is about one-third the density at the surface. The mass of Pluto is known to be about 1.5x10^22 kg, and its radius is about 1200 km. Spectroscopic data indicate that the atmosphere is mostly nitrogen (N2). Estimate the temperature of Pluto’s atmosphere. State what approximations and/or simplifying assumptions you made.

Homework Equations

C= deltaEatom/detlaT
Average energy of a diatomic molecule = translational energy + vibrational energy + rotational energy + gravitational energy
= 1.2mvx^2 + 1/2 mvy^2 + 1/2mvz^2 + (1+ m1/m2)(p1^2/2m1) + 1/2kS^2 + L^2rotx/2I + L^2roty/2I + Mgycm/
...?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I even understand how to approach this - there is no change in energy given. None of the equations I have seem to explain how to figure out something's temperature based only on its size... The only think I can think of is trying to equate gravitational energy and temperature somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the atmosphere to stay attached the molecular speed has to be less than escape velocity. That gives you an upper limit on the temperature.

I would approach this problem by first considering the basic principles of thermodynamics and atmospheric physics. I would also take into account the known properties of Pluto, such as its mass and radius, and the composition of its atmosphere.

To estimate the temperature of Pluto's atmosphere, I would use the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure (P), volume (V), and temperature (T) of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, where n is the number of moles of gas and R is the gas constant.

In this case, we know that the atmospheric density at a height of 50 km is one-third the density at the surface. This can be expressed as P2 = (1/3)P1, where P1 is the density at the surface and P2 is the density at 50 km. We can also assume that the number of moles of gas remains constant, since there is no indication of any chemical reactions or changes in the amount of gas present.

Using the ideal gas law, we can rearrange the equation to solve for temperature: T2 = P2V2/nR. We know the volume (V2) at 50 km is equal to the surface area of Pluto (4πr^2) multiplied by the height (50 km). We also know the mass (m) of Pluto and the composition (N2) of its atmosphere, which allows us to calculate the number of moles (n) of gas present.

Using these values and the gas constant, we can estimate the temperature of Pluto's atmosphere at 50 km above the surface. However, this is only an approximation and does not take into account factors such as atmospheric composition, variations in temperature at different altitudes, and other complexities. Additional data and observations would be needed to obtain a more accurate estimation of the temperature of Pluto's atmosphere.

1. What is the average temperature of Pluto's atmosphere?

The average temperature of Pluto's atmosphere is approximately -378 degrees Fahrenheit (-228 degrees Celsius).

2. How does the temperature of Pluto's atmosphere compare to other planets?

Pluto's atmosphere is much colder than the atmospheres of other planets in our solar system, as it is farther away from the sun and receives less heat.

3. Does Pluto's atmosphere have any significant temperature variations?

Yes, the temperature of Pluto's atmosphere varies depending on its distance from the sun. When Pluto is closer to the sun, its atmosphere can reach temperatures of -369 degrees Fahrenheit (-223 degrees Celsius), while it can drop to -387 degrees Fahrenheit (-233 degrees Celsius) when it is farther away.

4. How does the temperature affect the composition of Pluto's atmosphere?

The extremely low temperatures of Pluto's atmosphere cause its gases to freeze and form a thin layer of solid nitrogen on its surface. This layer can vary in thickness depending on the temperature of the atmosphere.

5. Has the temperature of Pluto's atmosphere changed over time?

It is believed that the temperature of Pluto's atmosphere has remained relatively stable over time, as its distance from the sun has not significantly changed. However, more research is needed to fully understand the long-term temperature trends on Pluto.