Temperature of shipping container

• Thread starter woody726
  • Start date
How do I calculate the surface temperature of a shipping container's roof over 24 hours? All weather and sun parameters are known and I use an energy balance equation, but the contribution of the inside of the container causes the calculated values (rise too fast) to differ from the measured ones.

Answers and Replies

• Can you give more details of what your assumptions are? How are we supposed to help you fix your model when we don't know anything about your model?
  • The unknown contentents of the containers will produce - well - unknown effect on the result

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sometimes, the contents of shipping containers have been known to ignite (see calcium hypochlorite). That could really throw off your calculations.

If you are treating the container as a 'black box' (where the contents are unknown), I don't know if it is feasible to construct a very accurate model, since you have no practical way to account for the heat absorption of the contents during the day.

The container is empty (air), and I use a model considering solar (shortwave) absorption, longwave atmospheric irradiance aborption, graybody emission from the container and convection. But the contribution of the inside of the container is what I am not sure of since currently the roof is considered simply as a sheet of metal. I assume net heat flux=0 for a given set of environmental parameters that are known for every minute over 24 hours: air temperature, solar irradiance, relative humidity, air pressure, wind velocity. The thermodynamic parameters for the container roof are also know: specific heat capacity (600 J/(kgK)), conductivity (50 W/(mK) ), density (7000 kgm-3), short (0.88) and longwave (0.9) absorption coeff, emissivity (0.88), and thickness (3mm).