Is Temperature Twice as Hot as Yesterday?

In summary, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance and is typically measured in degrees Celsius or Kelvin. It is different from heat, which is a measure of the total energy in a system. Absolute zero, the lowest possible temperature, is significant because it is the basis for the Kelvin temperature scale. Temperature can be measured in different units such as degrees Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Rankine. Temperature measurements can be affected by various factors, including the type of thermometer, material and color of the object, and environmental conditions. Pressure, altitude, and humidity can also influence temperature.
Kushal

Homework Statement

Comment on the statement 'Today the temperature is 40[tex]\circ[/tex]C and yesterday it was 20[tex]\circ[/tex]C so it is twice as hot today as it was yesterday.'

The Attempt at a Solution

i feel that it is wrong to say that, although i think a body at 40[tex]\circ[/tex]C is twice as hot as a body at 20[tex]\circ[/tex]C. i guess I'm missing something...

any hint? thnks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try expressing the temperatures in other units (Fahrenheit, Kelvin).

ooo yeah... i should use the absolute scale right?!

i don't know why it was not obvious at the beginning... thnks:)

Related to Is Temperature Twice as Hot as Yesterday?

1. What is the definition of temperature as a scientific term?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It is a physical quantity that determines the direction of heat flow and is typically measured in units of degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K).

2. How is temperature different from heat?

While temperature and heat are often used interchangeably in everyday language, they are distinct concepts in science. Temperature is a measure of the average energy of particles, while heat is a measure of the total energy in a system. Temperature determines the direction of heat flow, with heat always flowing from a higher temperature to a lower temperature.

3. What is absolute zero and why is it significant?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, at which the particles in a substance have no kinetic energy. It is equivalent to 0 Kelvin (K), or -273.15 degrees Celsius (°C). Absolute zero is significant because it is the basis for the Kelvin temperature scale, and it is the point at which all thermal motion stops.

4. How is temperature measured in different units?

The most commonly used units for temperature are degrees Celsius (°C) and Kelvin (K). However, in some contexts, temperature may also be measured in degrees Fahrenheit (°F) or Rankine (°R). These units are related by specific conversion formulas, with 0 °C equaling 32 °F and 0 K equaling -459.67 °F.

5. What factors can affect temperature measurements?

Temperature measurements can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of thermometer used, the material and color of the object being measured, and the location and surrounding environment of the measurement. Additionally, temperature can also be influenced by factors such as pressure, altitude, and humidity, which can affect the thermal energy of a substance.