Temperature Stresses on Unrestrained Cube

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volumetric strain of a cube that is heated by 1°C without any restraints. The equations for calculating strain are modified to include thermal expansion effects.
Vatsy
Hii all..

I have a question.Suppose there is a cube of side 1m .It is heated by 1°C. The cube is not restrained in any direction. We are required to find out the volumetric strain.

I am getting it as 3α.

But my question is that since the cube is not restrained , ∴ there should be no stresses in any direction.
∴ εv=(σxyz)(1-2μ)/E
which gives εv=0.

please help..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vatsy said:
Hii all..

I have a question.Suppose there is a cube of side 1m .It is heated by 1°C. The cube is not restrained in any direction. We are required to find out the volumetric strain.

I am getting it as 3α.

But my question is that since the cube is not restrained , ∴ there should be no stresses in any direction.
∴ εv=(σxyz)(1-2μ)/E
which gives εv=0.

please help..

The equation you quote for the strain pre-supposes that there are applied stresses on the object.

Vatsy said:
Hii all..

I am getting it as 3α.

∴ εv=(σxyz)(1-2μ)/E
which gives εv=0.

please help..

Hi Vasty. Welcome to Physics Forums.
Your equation needs to be modified when thermal expansion and contraction effects are involved, as follows:
[tex](ε_v-3αΔT)=\frac{(σ_x+σ_y+σ_z)(1-2μ)}{E}[/tex]
Now, can you figure out how the 6 Hooke's law strain equations have to be modified when thermal expansion effects are included?

Chestermiller said:
Hi Vasty. Welcome to Physics Forums.
Your equation needs to be modified when thermal expansion and contraction effects are involved, as follows:
[tex](ε_v-3αΔT)=\frac{(σ_x+σ_y+σ_z)(1-2μ)}{E}[/tex]
Now, can you figure out how the 6 Hooke's law strain equations have to be modified when thermal expansion effects are included?
Thanks a lot... :smile:

1. What are temperature stresses on an unrestrained cube?

Temperature stresses on an unrestrained cube refer to the internal forces and deformations that occur within the cube as a result of temperature changes. As the temperature of the cube increases or decreases, its dimensions will change, leading to internal stresses and resulting in potential structural failure.

2. How do temperature stresses affect an unrestrained cube?

Temperature stresses can cause an unrestrained cube to expand or contract, leading to changes in its dimensions and potential structural failure. The stress and strain within the cube can also cause cracks or fractures, depending on the material properties and temperature differentials.

3. How can temperature stresses on an unrestrained cube be calculated?

Temperature stresses can be calculated using the coefficient of thermal expansion, which measures how much a material will expand or contract per degree change in temperature. The temperature differential between the cube and its surroundings, as well as the material properties of the cube, must also be taken into account.

4. What are the potential consequences of temperature stresses on an unrestrained cube?

If not properly managed, temperature stresses on an unrestrained cube can lead to structural failure, causing damage or collapse of the cube. This can result in costly repairs or replacement, as well as potential safety hazards for individuals near the cube.

5. How can temperature stresses on an unrestrained cube be prevented or minimized?

To prevent or minimize temperature stresses on an unrestrained cube, proper design and material selection is crucial. Materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion and good thermal stability should be used. Additionally, control of the environmental temperature and use of expansion joints can help to mitigate temperature stresses on the cube.