N (Intro 1)Tennis Ball Rebound: Force on Ball During Collision

In summary, a 60 g tennis ball with an initial speed of 33 m/s hits a wall and rebounds with the same speed. The maximum value of the contact force during the collision can be calculated by finding the area under the Force vs. time graph provided and dividing the impulse (change in momentum) by the time. In this case, the maximum contact force is equal to 4 times the Fmax value obtained from the area under the graph.
julz3216

Homework Statement

A 60 tennis ball with an initial speed of 33 hits a wall and rebounds with the same speed. The figure (Intro 1 figure) shows the force of the wall on the ball during the collision. t=6
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1070440/4/09.EX11.jpg

What is the value of , the maximum value of the contact force during the collision?

Homework Equations

p=mv
change in p = F *change in time
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted and got Fmax = 1320

Physics news on Phys.org
julz3216 said:

Homework Statement

A 60 tennis ball with an initial speed of 33 hits a wall and rebounds with the same speed. The figure (Intro 1 figure) shows the force of the wall on the ball during the collision. t=6
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1070440/4/09.EX11.jpg

What is the value of , the maximum value of the contact force during the collision?

Homework Equations

p=mv
change in p = F *change in time
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted and got Fmax = 1320

Not sure about your units, but I'll go with 60 g for a tennis ball and 33 m/s.

So maybe check your units.

Impulse is Δmv.

But your force varies during the time. So you want to take the integral of the area under the F - t graph they provide. Each square is an Fmax * 1ms. When you figure the area, then you can calculate Fmax by dividing the Impulse you found by the ms factor from the area you found.

LowlyPion said:
When you figure the area, then you can calculate Fmax by dividing the Impulse you found by the ms factor from the area you found.

The graph doesn't provide F values so for area i got ((6+2)*Fmax)/2
For impulse I got .06*33 = 1.98 ...(60 g is right -> .06 kg)

But, I don't know what you mean by dividing the impulse by the ms factor?

julz3216 said:
The graph doesn't provide F values so for area i got ((6+2)*Fmax)/2
For impulse I got .06*33 = 1.98 ...(60 g is right -> .06 kg)

But, I don't know what you mean by dividing the impulse by the ms factor?

The impulse is change in momentum. That would be twice what you show.

Having found the area under the Force function you have that as 4*Fmax in units of N-s right?

So take the Impulse and divide by the time - 4ms to yield the value of your Fmax looks like to me.

Didn't you say F*Δt = I = Δmv ?

What is the concept of "N (Intro 1)Tennis Ball Rebound: Force on Ball During Collision"?

The concept refers to the force exerted on a tennis ball during a collision, specifically when the ball bounces off a surface such as a tennis racket or a wall.

How does the force on a tennis ball during a collision affect its rebound?

The force on the tennis ball during a collision determines the speed and direction of its rebound. A greater force will result in a faster and higher rebound, while a weaker force will result in a slower and lower rebound.

What factors affect the force on a tennis ball during a collision?

The force on a tennis ball during a collision is affected by factors such as the velocity of the ball, the mass of the ball, and the angle of impact. Other factors that may play a role include the surface material and temperature.

How is the force on a tennis ball during a collision calculated or measured?

The force on a tennis ball during a collision can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the ball, and a is the acceleration. It can also be measured using specialized equipment such as a force sensor or by analyzing the ball's rebound using high-speed cameras.

Why is understanding the force on a tennis ball during a collision important?

Understanding the force on a tennis ball during a collision is important for players and coaches to improve their skills and techniques. It also helps engineers in designing and testing equipment such as tennis rackets and court surfaces. Additionally, understanding this concept can provide insights into the physics behind other sports and everyday objects.