Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tennis players

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    Any tennis players here? I'm in South Florida ... Fort Lauderdale. 64 years old, good strokes, and pretty good shape. Let me know if you want to play. I don't care about winning or losing, but I'm so good that I usually win. Check out the video. And, yes, I speeded it up, but my serve is actually pretty fast in real time ... ie., I win points via it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Good for you! I wish my arthritis would allow me to resume play because I really enjoyed tennis when I was younger.

4. Jan 27, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

BTW, I often used the American Twist against novice opponents in order to score aces. It worked very well on coated asphalt courts, since the ball would come off the court very flat and fast.

5. Jan 27, 2012 #4
    I think tennis is a great game combining the best elements of fishing, hurdles, and ping pong. However, I can't help you out as I don't play it myself.

6. Jan 27, 2012 #5
    I never developed a good twist serve. I played every day for about 3 years when I was younger, and did develop a slice serve, but these days my toss is lower (a la Roscoe Tanner, Guillermo Vilas, etc.) and it's basically a flat serve as I can't really arch my body much.

7. Jan 27, 2012 #6
    :smile:

8. Jan 27, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

It takes some practice to develop a decent twist, but that once you get it down, that bounce can be deadly on hard courts. The ball seems to lob in there, but when it hits the court, it scoots, low and fast. Good players can defend against it, but novices get punked over and over again. Actually, even good players can bust up gear trying to pry low-fast serves off the court. If you can develop a decent twist serve, you can play well below your age.

9. Jan 27, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

BTW, the Twist serve was developed back when people used to play on grass or clay. On rubberized asphalt it is deadly!

10. Jan 27, 2012 #9
    I've played against people, about 40 years ago, who had really good twist serves. Both on hard courts and synthetic clay courts. It's very effective on both surfaces imo. But I've never played on grass. I imagine that that surface would favor people who can slice really effectively.

When I was playing every day I hit almost everything with a lot of topspin, both forehand and backhand. Even very good players had trouble handling it over the course of several sets.

But now, not having the athletic ability that I had then, I'm trying to emulate Ken Rosewall's game. Flat forehand and really well placed slice backhand.

I'll bet you were good in your time, eh?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook