Want to play tennis in South Florida? 64 years old and in good shape!

• Thread starter ThomasT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tennis
In summary, this elderly man from South Florida says that he is a good tennis player and that he has played for many years. He also talks about the American Twist serve, which is a very effective serving maneuver. He says that it is very effective on both hard and synthetic clay courts. He also says that he used to be good at playing with topspin, but now that he is older, he is trying to emulate Ken Rosewall's game.
ThomasT
Any tennis players here? I'm in South Florida ... Fort Lauderdale. 64 years old, good strokes, and pretty good shape. Let me know if you want to play. I don't care about winning or losing, but I'm so good that I usually win. Check out the video. And, yes, I speeded it up, but my serve is actually pretty fast in real time ... ie., I win points via it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good for you! I wish my arthritis would allow me to resume play because I really enjoyed tennis when I was younger.

BTW, I often used the American Twist against novice opponents in order to score aces. It worked very well on coated asphalt courts, since the ball would come off the court very flat and fast.

I think tennis is a great game combining the best elements of fishing, hurdles, and ping pong. However, I can't help you out as I don't play it myself.

turbo said:
BTW, I often used the American Twist against novice opponents in order to score aces. It worked very well on coated asphalt courts, since the ball would come off the court very flat and fast.
I never developed a good twist serve. I played every day for about 3 years when I was younger, and did develop a slice serve, but these days my toss is lower (a la Roscoe Tanner, Guillermo Vilas, etc.) and it's basically a flat serve as I can't really arch my body much.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I think tennis is a great game combining the best elements of fishing, hurdles, and ping pong.
:smile:

ThomasT said:
I never developed a good twist serve. I played every day for about 3 years when I was younger, and did develop a slice serve, but these days my toss is lower (a la Roscoe Tanner, Guillermo Vilas, etc.) and it's basically a flat serve as I can't really arch my body much.
It takes some practice to develop a decent twist, but that once you get it down, that bounce can be deadly on hard courts. The ball seems to lob in there, but when it hits the court, it scoots, low and fast. Good players can defend against it, but novices get punked over and over again. Actually, even good players can bust up gear trying to pry low-fast serves off the court. If you can develop a decent twist serve, you can play well below your age.

BTW, the Twist serve was developed back when people used to play on grass or clay. On rubberized asphalt it is deadly!

turbo said:
BTW, the Twist serve was developed back when people used to play on grass or clay. On rubberized asphalt it is deadly!
I've played against people, about 40 years ago, who had really good twist serves. Both on hard courts and synthetic clay courts. It's very effective on both surfaces imo. But I've never played on grass. I imagine that that surface would favor people who can slice really effectively.

When I was playing every day I hit almost everything with a lot of topspin, both forehand and backhand. Even very good players had trouble handling it over the course of several sets.

But now, not having the athletic ability that I had then, I'm trying to emulate Ken Rosewall's game. Flat forehand and really well placed slice backhand.

I'll bet you were good in your time, eh?

1. Can a 64-year-old play tennis in South Florida?

Yes, absolutely! Age is just a number and as long as you are in good shape and have no medical restrictions, you can definitely play tennis in South Florida.

2. Is South Florida a good place to play tennis?

Yes, South Florida is known for its great weather and many outdoor tennis courts. There are also many tennis clubs and communities that cater to players of all ages and skill levels.

3. Do I need to have prior tennis experience to play in South Florida?

No, you don't need to have prior tennis experience to play in South Florida. There are plenty of beginner-friendly courts and programs available for those who are new to the sport.

4. How often can I play tennis in South Florida?

You can play tennis in South Florida as often as you'd like! With the great weather and abundance of courts, you can play almost every day if you want to. Just remember to stay hydrated and take breaks when needed.

5. What is the best time of year to play tennis in South Florida?

The best time to play tennis in South Florida is during the cooler months of October through April. This is when the weather is most pleasant and there are fewer chances of rain or extreme heat.