Tension and Acceleration on Blocks

In summary, the conversation was about solving a physics problem involving three blocks connected on a rough table with specific masses and pulleys. The main equations used were F1 = T1 - m1g = m1a1, F3 = T2 - m3g = m3a3, and F2 = T1 - T2 - Ff. The problem involved finding the magnitude of acceleration of block m1 and the tension on the left cord. The mistake made in solving the problem was not accounting for the fact that m1 is greater than m3, resulting in incorrect equations. The correct approach involved finding the net force on block 2 and dividing it by all the masses.
colourpalette

Homework Statement

Three blocks are connected on a table as shown in the figure below.

[/PLAIN] <-- oopsies, apparently I don't know how to embed pictures, help please?

The table is rough and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.395. The three masses are m1 = 4.21 kg, m2 = 1.14 kg, and m3 = 1.85 kg, and the pulleys are frictionless. Determine the magnitude of the acceleration of block m1, and the tension on the left cord.

[h2]Homework Equations[/h2]
I hope these are right...
F[SUB]1[/SUB] = T1 - m[SUB]1[/SUB]g = m[SUB]1[/SUB]a[SUB]1[/SUB]
F[SUB]3[/SUB] = T2 - m[SUB]3[/SUB]g = m[SUB]3[/SUB]a[SUB]3[/SUB]
F[SUB]2[/SUB] = T1 - T2 - Ff
(T1 is the left cord tension, T2 is the right)

[h2]The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]
I tried to set this up as I would if I only had 2 blocks (1 and 2).
If I only had 2 blocks:
F[SUB]1y[/SUB] = T-m[SUB]1[/SUB]g = m[SUB]1[/SUB]a[SUB]1[/SUB]y
F[SUB]2x[/SUB] = T-F[SUB]friction[/SUB] = m[SUB]2[/SUB]a[SUB]2x[/SUB] = -m[SUB]2[/SUB]a[SUB]1y[/SUB] (because a[sub]2x[/sub]=-a[sub]1y[/sub]
So I tried to account for the third block in my second equation, making it like this:
F[SUB]2x[/SUB] = T-F[SUB]friction[/SUB]-m[SUB]3[/SUB]g
I'm guessing this is where I went wrong.

I continued to use these 2 equations to eliminate T, and then I got a1 = 3.498 m/s^2, which I then used to sub into the tension equation (T-m1g=m1a1), and got 26.5N which is wrong, so I tried adding a1 and gravity and got a tension of 56N, which is also wrong!

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the equations I set up, but I don't know what would be the right equation! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
colourpalette said:

Homework Equations

I hope these are right...
F1 = T1 - m1g = m1a1
F3 = T2 - m3g = m3a3
F2 = T1 - T2 - Ff
(T1 is the left cord tension, T2 is the right)

You would know that as m1>m3 so m1 will go down ...
therefore make changes in your eqn:
F1 = T1 - m1g = m1a1 accordingly

F1 = T1 - m1g = -m1a1

Thanks! I tried the problem again and I'm still wrong, but less wrong! haha. Can you help me out with the second equation? I think that's where I'm off.

No ...

ok ... suppose that a ball is acted by forces 500N in south and 490N in north ... how do you write eqn for finding the acceleration?

F=-500+490=-10=ma
a= -10/m ?

Ok...

A little tip, in ques like this you need not take one direction as positive... you can also take direction along lotion pf objects as positive

And look at the figure ... do you see any relation between a1 and a3??

Thanks! I got it now!
I found the net force on block 2 (m1g-m3g-friction on the second block) and then divided it by all the masses.
thanks for your help!

1. What is tension in physics?

Tension in physics is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is a form of internal force that resists the stretching of an object.

2. How is tension related to acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it. Tension is a force that can cause acceleration, either by pulling an object in a certain direction or by balancing out other forces acting on the object.

3. What factors affect the tension on a block?

The tension on a block is affected by the mass of the block, the angle at which it is being pulled, and the acceleration of the block. The tension also depends on the strength of the string or cable holding the block and the force applied to it.

4. How do you calculate tension on a block?

To calculate the tension on a block, you need to know the mass of the block, the acceleration of the block, and the angle at which it is being pulled. You can use the formula T = mg + ma*cos(θ), where T is the tension, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, a is the acceleration of the block, and θ is the angle at which it is being pulled.

5. What happens to the tension on a block if the acceleration increases?

If the acceleration of the block increases, the tension on the block will also increase. This is because the acceleration is directly proportional to the tension according to Newton's second law of motion. Therefore, a larger acceleration will require a larger tension force to be exerted on the block.