Tension and fluid type question

In summary, tension is a force that stretches or compresses an object in opposite directions. It affects the behavior of fluids, including their flow rate, viscosity, and surface tension. Tension and fluid pressure are directly related, with an increase in tension resulting in an increase in fluid pressure. Tension can also be used to control fluid flow, commonly seen in industrial applications. Various methods can be used to measure tension in fluids, providing valuable information about their behavior.
WhatTheBleepDoIKnow
I would appreciate any help I could get with this problem...

A spherical-shaped hollow steel shell, with a radius of 2.5m, containing some instruments, is lowered by a cable into a lake. The shell with its contents weighs 7.2 x 10 to the 5th N on the deck of a ship from which it is being lowered. What is the tension in the cable when the sphere is completely immersed in the water?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
have you tried this problem yourself

uhh...yes...this is an online class and I have no instructor here to help me all i have in my crappy book

Related to Tension and fluid type question

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is applied to an object in opposite directions, causing it to stretch or compress.

2. How does tension affect fluid type?

Tension can affect the behavior of fluids by altering their flow rate, viscosity, and surface tension. Different fluids have different responses to tension, which can be observed through various experiments and calculations.

3. What is the relationship between tension and fluid pressure?

Tension and fluid pressure are directly related. As tension increases, fluid pressure also increases. This is because tension creates a force that pushes against the fluid, causing it to exert pressure on the surrounding area.

4. Can tension be used to control fluid flow?

Yes, tension can be used to control the flow of fluids. By applying tension to the fluid, the rate of flow can be manipulated. This is often seen in industrial applications, such as regulating the flow of oil or water through pipes.

5. How can tension be measured in fluids?

Tension can be measured using a variety of methods, such as tensiometers, capillary tubes, or by calculating the force required to stretch a fluid-filled membrane. These measurements can provide valuable information about the behavior of fluids under different levels of tension.