1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension force in a tow truck

1. Feb 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A tow truck drags a stalled car along a road. The chain makes an angle of 30° with the road and the tension in the chain is 1500 N. How much work is done by the truck in pulling the car 1 km?

2. Relevant equations
    Work = Force * distance

3. The attempt at a solution
    By drawing a free body diagram, I learn that the horizontal component of tension is 1500 * cos(30), which is apprx 1300 N. I then multiply by 1000 meters to get 1.3 million joules. Is this correct? Is joules always measured in meters or should I have multiplied by 1 instead? Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2015 #2
    I put this question in math because it's from my Multivariate Calculus Late Transcendentalist book.

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

... Is joules always measured in meters or should I have multiplied by 1 instead? Thank You[/QUOTE]

##1 \text{Joule} =1 \text{N}\cdot\text{m }, ## so Joules are not in units of meters.

5. Feb 1, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

• Looks right. 1 J = 1 N m

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted