Tension in a rope, wavelengths, etc. I

In summary, the conversation discusses a rope stretched between two vertical supports with fixed points of attachment, with a linear density of 0.6kg/m and a speed of 12 m/s for transverse waves. The tension in the rope is 58N and the frequency needed for a traveling wave with a 4m wavelength is 6 Hz. The rope can support standing waves with lengths of 4m and 3.2m, with harmonic numbers of consecutive integers. The length of the rope is found to be 8m and the mass can be calculated using the linear density and length. The harmonic number for the 4m standing wave is 4 and the fundamental frequency is discussed as well.
somesmallkid

Homework Statement

A rope is stretched between two vertical supports. The points where it is attached (P and Q) are fixed. The linear density of the rope, u, is 0.6kg/m, and the speed of the transverse waves on the rope is 12 m/s.

a. what is the tension in the rope?
b. with what frequency must the rope vibrate to create a traveling wave with a wave length of 4m?

The rope can support standing waves of lengths 4m and 3.2m, whose harmonic numbers are consecutive integers.

c. find the length of the rope
d. find the mass of the rope
e. what is the harmonic number of the 4m standing wave?

Homework Equations

f=1/T
T=2pi(m/k)^1/2
=2pi(L/g)^1/2
v=(wavelength)f
F(t)=u(v)^2
f=v/wavelength
2L/n=4m
2L/(n+1)=3.2m

The Attempt at a Solution

a. (0.4 kg/m)(12m/s)^2= 58N

b. f = (12m/s)/(2m) = 6 Hz

c. n=4

2L = 16 for both
L=8m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
somesmallkid said:
... u, is 0.6kg/m, ... with a wave length of 4m

... The attempt at a solution[/b]

a. (0.4 kg/m)(12m/s)^2= 58N...

u = 0.6kg/m or 0.4kg/m?

grzz said:
u = 0.6kg/m or 0.4kg/m?

Oh, it's 0.6kg/m. Sorry it's kind of late and I guess I'm just tired of trying to solve this problem :I hehe..

somesmallkid said:
... a traveling wave with a wave length of 4m
b. f = (12m/s)/(2m) = 6 Hz ...

Is not the wavelength 4m?

grzz said:
Is not the wavelength 4m?

No, you're right. It's 4.

Am I doing these correctly?

Length of rope = 8m

grzz said:
Length of rope = 8m

yeah i got that :) thanks! do you know how to do D or E though?

re D
Your post says,'...The linear density of the rope, u, is 0.6kg/m,...' and you know the length of rope.

re E

What do you understand by 'fundamental frequency'?

What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is the force that is pulling or stretching the rope. It is usually measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs) and is caused by an external force acting on the rope.

How does tension affect the wavelength of a rope?

Tension in a rope is directly related to the wavelength of the rope. As tension increases, the wavelength of the rope decreases. This is because the tension creates more energy in the rope, causing it to vibrate at a higher frequency and therefore have a shorter wavelength.

What factors can affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope can be affected by several factors including the weight of the object attached to the rope, the type of material the rope is made of, and the angle at which the rope is pulled.

How is wavelength measured in a rope?

Wavelength in a rope is measured by determining the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in the rope's wave pattern. This distance is usually measured in units of meters (m) or centimeters (cm).

What is the relationship between tension and speed of waves in a rope?

The speed of waves in a rope is directly proportional to the tension in the rope. As tension increases, the speed of waves in the rope also increases. This is because a higher tension creates more energy in the rope, allowing the waves to travel faster.