Tension in the String of a Pulley System

In summary, the mass on the horizontal surface (m1) is 10kg and the mass on the vertical surface (m2) is 7kg. The massless string connecting the two masses has a tension of 40.4 N.
JamesEarl

Homework Statement

The figure below shows two boxes, m1 and m2. m1 = 10 kg is sitting on a frictionless horizontal surface, while m2 = 7 kg is hanging vertically. The two masses are connected by a massless string that is wrapped around a massless, frictionless pulley.

Figure: http://class.phys.psu.edu/WebAssign_figures/two-box connected.jpg

What is the acceleration of m1?
What is the tension in the string?

m1= 10kg
m2= 7kg

Homework Equations

ax=m2g/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the right answer for acceleration, which was 4.04 m/s2. However, I've already made two attempts at the tension and both were wrong. I tried looking at it from two different standpoints. After drawing a free body diagram, it looks like T=m1ax. When I plug in the numbers, I get 40.4, which is incorrect. I then tried looking at it from the other block. T=m2(9.8-ax). The answer for this was the same, and therefore incorrect. I then tried -40.4, which was also wrong. Anyone have any ideas? The only hunch I have is that the tensions offset, making the answer 0. However, this really doesn't make any sense because there has to be some tension in the rope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? This is due tomorrow guys

I don't see anything wrong with your calculation of tension - the fact that you got the same answer looking at either mass should tell you that you got the right answer (and no, negative or 0 tension does not make sense for this problem).

I take it you are submitting your answers online - perhaps they are looking for you to round the answer to a specific number of digits. If that's not it, your program may just have the wrong answer.

Thanks for the response james, I checked with my TA and apparently I do, in fact, have the WRONG answer. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, it's really driving me nuts.

Actually, is it possible that the tensions of each component (40.4) need to be added together (80.8) to get the total tension of the string?

I'm sorry JamesEarl, but if 40.4 is not the answer, then I don't know what is.

Free-body diagram of m1 yields the following equation:
m1*a = T

Free-body diagram of m2 yields the following equation:
m2*a = m2*g - T

the string is inextensible and massless; there are no other components in the system with inertia; there is no friction in the system

Since the string doesn't stretch, both masses accelerate with a (as already expressed in the equations above).

Solving the equations:
a = (m2/(m1+m2))*g
T = m1*a = ((m1*m2)/(m1+m2))*g
equivalently,
T = m2*(g-a) = ((m1*m2)/(m1+m2))*g
Plugging in the numbers:
a = 4.04 m/s^2
T = 40.4 N

If that's not the solution, it may be time for me to retire.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, but apparently I'm definitely wrong. I went to my TA and showed him my approach and my answer, and he said there's something I'm not accounting for. I have NO idea what he's talking about. Do I add up the tensions on either side of the pulley?

Tension should be uniform. If you accerlation is right and T=m1a I don't see how the tension couold be anything other than 40.4N.

What is tension in the string of a pulley system?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. In a pulley system, the tension in the string is the force that is transmitted through the string as it supports the weight of the object being lifted.

What factors affect the tension in the string of a pulley system?

The tension in the string of a pulley system is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being lifted, the number of pulleys in the system, and the angle of the string as it is pulled.

How can the tension in the string of a pulley system be calculated?

The tension in the string can be calculated using the equation T = W / n, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the object, and n is the number of supporting strings or pulleys in the system. Additionally, the tension can also be calculated using trigonometric functions when the angle of the string is known.

What happens to the tension in the string as more weight is added to the pulley system?

As more weight is added to the pulley system, the tension in the string increases. This is because the added weight increases the force being applied to the string, causing it to stretch and support a greater load.

How does friction impact the tension in the string of a pulley system?

Friction can cause a decrease in the tension in the string of a pulley system. This is because friction creates resistance against the movement of the string, which can result in a loss of tension and a decrease in the weight that can be supported by the system.